Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING >

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

USING DRIER SHEETS IN QUILTING

Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
For it to be a fair comparison, you need to do the same thing with the fusible.
You are so right that I need to make a comparison. I just did the same test exactly the same way with the fusible & it was difficult to get to flame up. It took 2 matches to get it to flame up & even then it didn't flame up as quickly or as hot as the drier sheet.
I'm not suggesting anybody not use them but just wanted to share my experience with you. Using them seemed like such a good idea but, for me, I won't use them.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pickles
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I use dryer sheets on a lot of scrappy quilts after they are used in the wash, then iron them. I think anything would catch fire if you lit a match to it. Used them fro years so maybe it's ok. I may have to do an experiement myself after one is washed. I also buy the scent free and that makes a difference. Good luck.
geez don't burn a quilt after all that hard work to make it!! :shock:

Id like to know what happens deb- so please post when experiment is completed.. Makes me cringe knowing your gonna burn a masterpiece of your.. eeek.. !!! yea i know its for the greater good.. may your quilt rest in piece... :cry:
I think she was talking about burning one of the dryer sheets after she had washed it not one of her quilts, at lest that what
I hope she meant. :shock:

I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear. Yes, I used a used dryer sheet all by itself. I ironed it & was ready to use it til I remembered somebody earlier saying they were a fire risk. That's why I tested it.
It isn't my intent to stir up anything but felt it was worth the safety factor. Doing the test myself left nothing to doubt about whether or not I would use them.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by oma66
I just did a test in my kitchen with dryer sheet, poly-cotton, fusible interfacing and 100% cotton. They all burned the same - quickly. The poly-cotton curled up in flame, the cotton burned the fastest and with much more flame, the fusible burned very quickly and the dryer sheet burned quickly, but not any quicker than the other three. As someone said, put a match to anything and it will burn. I used dryer sheets in quilting and was very alarmed when I read the post this morning, so I did the experiment myself. If you recently saw the damage a candle did to a quilters quilt in progress, you would see just how quickly a quilt will burn without a dryer sheet involved.

I am always thankful for new information and warnings. I am glad I saw the post so I could see for myself as PatG suggested. Thank you PatG for the suggestion and warning. However, since they all burned the same, I am not afraid of using the dryer sheets.

Good for you for doing the experiment. I wonder if it's a difference in brands that made the difference in our tests. Mine definitely burned much faster & hotter than the fusible. At least it's making people think about it. I was going to take pix but the dryer sheet went up so fast I wouldn't have had time.

I hope others will carefully do this same test just to reassure themselves.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by deema
Like others have said - put fire to something...most everything will burn. I can't imagine a dryer sheet going up any faster than other interfacing, fusible or plain quilting cotton. Cotton batting goes up pretty quickly too. Though I haven't yet used dryer sheets in my quilting, I would not hesitate because of this. It's not like they spontaneously go up in flames or anything.
I agree. I think if you're terribly concerned don't use it in a child's quilt. Just think about how flammable hairspray is...and many of us use it every day without caution! ;)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
I just did a test in my kitchen with dryer sheet, poly-cotton, fusible interfacing and 100% cotton. They all burned the same - quickly. The poly-cotton curled up in flame, the cotton burned the fastest and with much more flame, the fusible burned very quickly and the dryer sheet burned quickly, but not any quicker than the other three. As someone said, put a match to anything and it will burn. I used dryer sheets in quilting and was very alarmed when I read the post this morning, so I did the experiment myself. If you recently saw the damage a candle did to a quilters quilt in progress, you would see just how quickly a quilt will burn without a dryer sheet involved.

I am always thankful for new information and warnings. I am glad I saw the post so I could see for myself as PatG suggested. Thank you PatG for the suggestion and warning. However, since they all burned the same, I am not afraid of using the dryer sheets.

Good for you for doing the experiment. I wonder if it's a difference in brands that made the difference in our tests. Mine definitely burned much faster & hotter than the fusible. At least it's making people think about it. I was going to take pix but the dryer sheet went up so fast I wouldn't have had time.

That is a good point you made PatG, that one brand may burn differently than another brand. I do not currently use dryer sheets in quilting, but I did about 15 yrs. ago, using them in an applique design. I recently got one of those quilts back from my granddaughter to be repaired: the cotton was just about gone, but the dryer sheets were intact. There seems to be a danger in everything we use, everything we eat, and we really do need to educate ourselves so we are not sorry later. But...when we have nothing else to go to in products what can we do? It is a vicious circle isn't it?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 PM

That is a good point you made PatG, that one brand may burn differently than another brand. I do not currently use dryer sheets in quilting, but I did about 15 yrs. ago, using them in an applique design. I recently got one of those quilts back from my granddaughter to be repaired: the cotton was just about gone, but the dryer sheets were intact. There seems to be a danger in everything we use, everything we eat, and we really do need to educate ourselves so we are not sorry later. But...when we have nothing else to go to in products what can we do? It is a vicious circle isn't it?

Oma, it's so nice to share our experiments since we're ea. getting such different results. I tried using another used dryer sheet today & it turned to flames immed. again & I had to drop it under a running faucet. I used Gain (with fragrance) brand. Maybe if others use different brands we could decide if that is why we got our different test results. Just be very careful though. Do it in a sink with running water. My Gain actually scared me at how fast it turned to flames.

Then I decided to cont. on with a pc. of thin batting I use from Wal Mart & I had a hard time getting it to flame up at all & then it put itself out. I have to admit that surprised me but since it's the one I use the most I was happy with the outcome. I didn't have time to test Warm & Natural but I plan to since I'm starting to use it more & more.

I passed my test info. on to the grp. mostly for fun but I think we've gotten and education from it. I'm not suggesting what anybody else should do---use dryer sheets or not---. At least we may at least think about it before using it. It isn't just putting a match to it, it's any heat source that can turn them to flames you won't be able to put out easily.

Ok, everybody. Back to quilting.

Pat
Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 AM

Most cotton quilting fabrics are also flammable too.So ,while I don't use the dryer sheet method;I still let the people I make quilts for that they are not flame resistnst.Just a thuoght.
Somebody mentioned the other day about the fire risk in using drier sheets in our quilting. I started saving them but decided to test them before using them.
I held a used sheet over the sink & put a match to it. It immediately went up in flames so I dropped it into the sink under running water. I will never use them in my quilting. Most definitely not in kids' quilts. It sounded like such a good idea originally. I'll stick to light wt. fusible instead.

I read how we can layer the applique pc. right sides together with the fusible. After sewing it around & turning it right side out, cut the insides of the fusible out leaving a narrow rim around the edge of the applique. Be sure you layer them right to end up with the fusible rim facing the block. I did it wrong once & ended up with the fusible facing the wrong way. Duuh. That also prevents so much stiffness to the applique.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 AM

Duh I know I must sound stupid but why and how do you use dryer sheets in quilting? The only use I know of them is how great they are for keeping your Iron clean :!:
Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I am extremely allergic to drier sheets, even used ones, as is my none genetically related son. Many people are allergic to detergents and other scented items. Thank you for making us aware of the fire danger of reusing the sheets. I like being thrify but maybe we should all pass on this one.
I have never used drier sheets for this reason. When my daughter was young she had eczema and asthma-like problems. The pediatrician warned me to stay away from them. I would be concerned about giving away quilts with them inside.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Duh I know I must sound stupid but why and how do you use dryer sheets in quilting? The only use I know of them is how great they are for keeping your Iron clean :!:
For applique ;) Instead of using fusible web to make applique easier to turn. I hadn't heard of using dryer sheets until it was posted on here so don't feel bad! LOL* I think because they are lightweight they would be really easy to turn and less stiff on the back of your fabric...although I am a fan of fusible because, well, it fuses. ;)