Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM

No you are not...Mine thinks that if you can't eat it you don't need it....but I finally finished a king for our bed...he hasn't said anything about it but hasn't said anything bad lately...he has his video game he plays so getting a little better.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM

ha ha I'm with you I do not like sports on TV he watches, Like the football game he is watching right now but he is also weaving a placemat for our kitchen table. He is really good. I love him and am glad he started to weave to make this winter easier for him. During the summer he has plenty to do in the yard. etc....
Old 01-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Bev

My DH is not quite as open about his disliking of my "little hobby" as he calls it, but it's obvious he really hates it. He sighs deeply when I go off to my quilting studio fro a while. I only do that, at night, when he's watching sports or another show that I don't care for. Like your husband he doesn't have a hobby. I'm hoping that after he retires, in 4 months, he'll find a hobby and then will understand how I can feel the way I do about mine. He cannot stand the fact that I use up a WHOLE bedroom for my work, and always insists that when we move into smaller quarters, after he retires, I won't be able to have a room of my own. To that end, he is encouraging me to get rid of a lot of my "junk." But I'm not a pushover, and I will insist, just as strongly, that I WILL have a room, period!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bev
My DH is not quite as open about his disliking of my "little hobby" as he calls it, but it's obvious he really hates it. .... Like your husband he doesn't have a hobby. I'm hoping that after he retires, in 4 months, he'll find a hobby and then will understand how I can feel the way I do about mine.
!
Don't depend on his coming up with a hobby after he retires. On the contrary, I found that my DH lost interest in the few hobbies he had prior to retirement.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bev
My DH is not quite as open about his disliking of my "little hobby" as he calls it, but it's obvious he really hates it. He sighs deeply when I go off to my quilting studio fro a while. I only do that, at night, when he's watching sports or another show that I don't care for. Like your husband he doesn't have a hobby.." But I'm not a pushover, and I will insist, just as strongly, that I WILL have a room, period!
Don't count on him getting any better when he retires. You have worked hard your whole life and deserve to have a room of your own for your hobby. Hang in there, we are rooting for you.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 AM

My George never complains....when we are both home I do not have worry about the fur babies getting into things while I'm in the basement sewing....besides from May through Oct. I am a "golf widow"... he is on 2 leauges plus golfs every day off with buddies and In Feb. he goes South for 10 day golf outing with 23 golf buddies
Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
nab

Okay, I'm waiting for an update on "To be continued". I actually asked my husband how he felt about my quilting. "As long as you're happy." He does not understand how I can multi-task when we are watching TV, but he figures its a girl thing. When he reads he does not want the TV on and when he is watching TV that is all he does, except eat. That is as close to multi-tasking as he gets. I guess it's a man thing. Good Luck to all of you.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by MillieH
Originally Posted by Bev
My DH is not quite as open about his disliking of my "little hobby" as he calls it, but it's obvious he really hates it. .... Like your husband he doesn't have a hobby. I'm hoping that after he retires, in 4 months, he'll find a hobby and then will understand how I can feel the way I do about mine.
!
Don't depend on his coming up with a hobby after he retires. On the contrary, I found that my DH lost interest in the few hobbies he had prior to retirement.
I've never met the man who's hobby is anything other than watching TV after retiring. My poor sister, her husband kept adding to his electronics and now has a set up to record 2 or 3 TV shows at a time, it's a life & death matter to touch any of his remote controls. Their living room looks like a recording studio. When he's going to find the time to watch all of his recordings I don't know. My husband has returned to work at 73 and I think he's much healthier for it. When women retire it just means they have one full-time job instead of two. I became busier than ever but now I'm doing things I love, grandkids, gardening, and now sewing. Hubby never has to mow the lawn because I have it finished while he's catching up on old episodes of Law and Order, bless his heart. I really don't resent him for it because I'm happier and healthier for it.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Mine is planning to retire in abouta month...unless he changes his mind...We already downsized 7 years ago so can't get smaller...It would be like living in an apartment and I won't do that...
Old 01-24-2011, 03:14 PM

Hi. My thoughts on husbands and your "craft likes". Many men who are still working, once home, love the attention of their wives showered on them. They are tired and retreat to the easy chair and the TV and await dinner. After which they return to their easy chair and the TV. Having been away for the day, look forward to our company, be it for an hour or more. (understandable) Now...

Once men retire, they have to re-establish what their days activity will be.. that 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 pm programed job is no longer dictating their time. What now?? Gyms? Yard work, gardening, woodworking?? Many find they have neglected their "hobbies" or have never established one. Lucky is the wife if her husband has hobbies. Many of us that find their husbands are at a loss of what to do with their time. Encouraging them to join a gym or get with a buddy and find something to do helps.

Don't be so hard on the man in your life, as sewing and our other crafts, are like intruders, taking us from them. Find something to do together some of the time, a day out, just the two of you or with friends. In time they will settle into doing things on their own and spend less time worrying over the time spent in your craft rooms! :)

Just my thoughts...