Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo >

Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo

Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo

Old 09-20-2014, 03:00 AM

Just checking in. I know I'm way early, but I need to work today, so will check in later today. Have fun sewing everyone!!! I'll look at step 1 after work and start sewing beginning of next week. Again happy sewing!!!!
Old 09-20-2014, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

Christine, I like the set with the peach in it. It seems to go better with the flowers in the black fabric. It's all pretty.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:06 AM

Good morning all :-)

Wow so many more passengers with beautiful fabrics such a variety of colors and patterns I can't wait to see how they all turn out.

I brought a stack of French toast to the club car I think I'll sit here patiently sipping my coffee waiting for 9am, did anybody bring any bailys?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the French toast! Clementines just came on the market. I'll leave some for you.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
Christine, I like the set with the peach in it. It seems to go better with the flowers in the black fabric. It's all pretty.
Thanks Mary . I agree with you after taking a picture and posting it and looking at the pictures together. Orginally that is wky I picksd the peach
Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 AM

Yep, waiting patiently in the club car and having some of the yummies. Hurry, hurry, before I add another five pounds!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 AM

happytab - wow, those florals are big. Remember, I said small to medium prints would work best. The only way you will be able to use one of those florals is to use it in the E position. Keeping the same left-to-right order, that would change B C D E to A B C D
bluelady - you are correct. the border can be something that you can decide on after the project is put together.
Ant -very pretty - see my PM
roserips - do you have anything to use for the strips?
stylish - would be happy to help but would need to know how much of each you have
frustrated - order you show, with A ant the top, is good.

Last edited by paintmejudy; 09-20-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:08 AM

the Bailys is in the cupboard behind the picture of Whistlers' Mother. (this is the whisper color)

Old 09-20-2014, 07:09 AM

Default And we are ready to start our quilt!

This week you will make some half-square triangles blocks that must measure 4-1/2” square.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE: cut a small piece of each fabric, tape it on a sheet of paper, and label with A B C D E. or print out a picture of the fabrics you posted. You won’t be sorry and will save you a whole bunch of grief. (Does this sound like I forgot to do this, and got all mixed up by week 4? Yup.)

If you are right on the money at making half square triangles, cut into 4-7/8” strips and sub cut into 4-7/8” squares. Proceed as book or online directions describe.

But I am an imperfect quilter, so I cheat on some things to make them perfect. There are no Quilt Police in my life. If you look in a book or online, you will be told to cut your squares 4-7/8”. But they never turn out perfect for me, so I cut my blocks at 5” square, then mark down the diagonal, and sew a scant 1/4” away from either side of the pencil line. (The area between the pencil line and the seam is a scant Ό”) Then, cut along the pencil line, press, and trim to 4-1/2”. Perfectly sized blocks with no distortion, no wonky edge here and there. And best of all, it eliminates having to trim the dog ears. There are other ways to make half square triangles, it’s up to you to choose your favorite method, like a strip tube ruler or things like Laundry Basket or Thangles papers. If using my oversize cut, the instructions follow.

Cut strips at 5“ wide, WOF. Cut only 2 strips of fabric B and 2 strips of fabric D. Cut strips into ten 5” squares. You will need 10 squares of fabric B and 10 squares of fabric D. Save all leftover pieces of the 5” wide strips. Scraps will be used later. Mark a line on the diagonal on the wrong side of the lighter block, place right sides together, sew scant Ό” as mentioned in paragraph above on either side of drawn line, cut in half, press and trim. You will have 20 B-D blocks that must measure 4-1/2” square. See top picture.

Cut strips at 5“ wide, WOF, Cut only 2 strips of fabric A and 2 strips of fabric D. Cut strips into ten 5” squares. You will need 10 squares of fabric A and 10 of fabric D. Save all left over pieces of the 5” strips. Mark a line on the diagonal on the wrong side of the lighter block, place right sides together, sew on either side, cut in half, press and trim. You will have 20 A-D blocks that must measure 4-1/2” square. See second picture.

DO NOT SEW THESE 4-1/2” BLOCKS TOGETHER.

OK, hopefully this will keep you busy for a while.
Attached Thumbnails week-2-b-d.jpg   week-2-d.jpg  
Old 09-20-2014, 07:25 AM

Thank you, Judy! Off to cut. I've left some homemade pecan granola bars in the club car -- enjoy.