Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 07-13-2023, 09:03 AM

Rff1010, I like all of your finishes. Great job.

SBG, nice bookcase. But I still see room for more fabric. 😊LOL great job on buying sales.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:40 AM

Rff1010, those are wonderful finishes!

Sewbiz, I had that same incentive to stop buying fabric, haha. Lovely storage unit!
Old 07-13-2023, 01:53 PM

What a great "using up backing fabric" story, Rff and three lovely looking quilts at the end of it. :-)

Sewbizgirl - I'm tempted to see if there's something like your Facebook sale page near me, but I know it would lead me in to big, big trouble! Good for you for having the fabric organized so quickly!
Old 07-13-2023, 06:50 PM

Three beauties, one shelf and much restraint or not to purchase more fabric! Just a day in the life of a quilter! Tee-Hee-Hee!
Old 07-15-2023, 04:41 PM

I just shared these photos on the Virtual Quilt Weekend thread but since it is all scraps and from stash, here they are for you too, front and back. This and its larger companion will go to Project Linus in a short while.
Attached Thumbnails 2023-07-15-crumb-quilt-48x61-.jpg   2023-07-15-crumb-quilt-48x61-back-.jpg  
Old 07-16-2023, 06:29 AM

So cool, WMUTeach. That looks like some complicated piecing.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:21 PM

So I just posted this in the VQW thread, but wanted to celebrate it here, too. This is related to my post # 342 in this thread. This is the flimsy using the sample pack of fabrics I fell in love with a few years ago along with a few other coordinating pieces I had on hand. The white fabric was purchased for another project but this one needed it first and I have so few background-type fabrics in my stash I don't generally feel guilty for acquiring more, especially since they are leaving my stash faster than my prints. I'm happy to say that the sashing/binding fabrics were also in my collection (binding is made and ready to go) and I have just found a piece of lavender striped fabric that I think will work for a backing so almost everything is from stash. :-) Hoping to post a finished product at some point but with such limited sewing time it might be a while. :-)
Attached Thumbnails img_8610.jpg  
Old 07-16-2023, 03:34 PM

So beautiful, Gemm! The larger print you have in there works beautifully with the blenders!
Old 07-16-2023, 04:05 PM

Gemm. Like the scrappy look. Is there a strip method for it?
Old 07-16-2023, 04:37 PM

Thanks Joe'smom and Petthefabric.

It's just HSTs, Pet, and I tend to keep my construction quite simple. I also didn't strip piece because my fabric pieces were unpredictable and irregular sizes (all were rectangles, though). As an example, there were three different swatches of yellow in the sample pack, but I don't think I got more than two 4" squares out of any of the pieces. I know that there are strip piecing methods for HSTs although I've not used them, but I don't see why you couldn't. I got the pattern idea from Missouri Star - Jenny Doan used layer cakes. I cut 4" squares and trimmed down so my HSTs ended up at 3" finished.

I've attached a picture of some of what I have left over. There were two pieces of the "theme" fabric - both that size, and everything else was smaller - right down to about 4" x 6". There were about 12-14 different fabrics in there in total. I have so much of the theme fabric left because I was going to use it for binding until I changed my mind and added some to the quilt top. :-)

And some sad news re: the backing (not pictured). I was showing the fabric to my mother and it just felt a bit strange so I decided to do a burn test - it turns out it's polycotton. :-( It's such a shame because it would have been perfect for this quilt, colour- and theme-wise. However, I've decided I like the quilt top too much to spoil the finished product with a bad backing. The silver lining to this little grey cloud? I now have about 3m of stash fabric that are going to find another home and/or purpose. That's good, right? :-)
Attached Thumbnails img_8611.jpg