Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 07-17-2023, 04:52 PM

Gemm, so glad that you explained how you made your quilt with the HSTs. I passed it by thinking it was put together like a braid and all of those bias edges. But Ta-DA a glorious collection of HSTs. I know some folks dread them but your lay out is a wonderful example of how to use them when you have a collection that match or that are play nicely together. I saved a copy of your layout so I can give it a try when I get in the mood to make more HSTs,
Old 07-18-2023, 05:33 AM

I'm finishing a quilt I started years ago and needed about 1/2 yard to finish it. The manufacturer went out of business, so I was looking on line to buy something that would work. There were so many pop up ads, sign up for mailing lists, etc that I decided to look in my stash again. I'm still on the wagon. lol
Old 07-18-2023, 07:11 AM

WMU - I was one of those people who dreaded making/using HSTs but now that I've made a few quilts with them I'm somewhat addicted - they're just so versatile! :-) For me, the key things that have made them work for me are trimming down and pressing carefully - both to make sure I don't warp the center seam (a work in progress) and to have the seams going in the right direction for them to nest nicely.

And way to keep your seat on the wagon, Mizkyp! I agree that pop-ups can be the bane of any online search these days but if it helped you avoid a purchase, maybe there's some value in them after all. :-)
Old 07-20-2023, 02:30 PM

So I have a question for you, and am hoping to find some encouragement as well...

When you're shopping your stash for a quilt or quilt back, how do you deal with the "I'd like to do X but because that involves buying fabric, I'm happy to settle for Y (but I am not really all that happy)" feeling?

I have been trying out different pieced backing ideas for that hydrangea quilt and have finally settled on one that I think sort of works AND that uses fabric I have. I'd rather have a plain (single fabric) backing (and this has been echoed by friends and family who have seen both the quilt and backing idea) but... fabric moratorium, you know? So, because (for multiple reasons) I'm currently feeling like throwing it in a box and forgetting about finishing it, I'm just wondering: how do you get past this feeling (if you even experience it) and just "get it done"?

Old 07-20-2023, 04:54 PM

OK.... several suggestions, GEMM
1. Do you have any of the hydrangea fabric left? Using small scraps make a single strip the width of the quilt and add a complimentary fabric above and below to piece a back.(I do this when I have a back I like when it is too small.)
2. Give yourself the grace to purchase just enough fabric to finish the back with a fabric that pleases you. We are all endeavoring to shop from our stash FIRST but there is no rule other than the ones we make for ourselves that says we can't shop for what we need to beautifully finish our quilt project.
3. If scrapping together a bunch of coordinating colors from the front and use that for the back doesn't make you happy, you will never be happy with the end result even if it IS all from your stash. It is your quilt. Make it something you can be proud of.
4. Nothing wrong doing what you suggested. Box it up with the remaining scraps and the pattern and put it away for a while. You may find something unexpected in your stash, find something perfect and drastically on sale, or on a give-away table or from a quilting friend.

Be gentle with yourself.

PS. I often work the design process backwards. Some of my best stash busting quilts started with the backing fabric and then I proceed to match colors from the backing for the quilt top that were in my stash. Sadly my backing stash has dwindled to near nothing now. But that is a good thing. Right?

Old 07-20-2023, 05:19 PM

Some great suggestions there, WMU, thank you. A couple I have used before, including working from the backing fabric! I actually have one piece of fabric right now that I am using as inspiration while I have been delving through my stash for this quilt.

I am still working with what I have but haven't given up on the idea of putting it away for a while. Unfortunately I have quite a lot of quilts in that "put away for later" box already and might need to declare myself in the UFO thread soon!

We'll see what happens! I've given myself the night off (from thinking about it) and will try to look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:19 AM

I echo WMU #2 - the idea is not to add to stash. But you should always be happy with your work. Be gentle with yourself.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:06 AM

I'm happy to say I have figured something out (that I am quite content with) without having to buy more fabric. I adapted one of WMU's ideas and have connected three visually coordinated fabrics with two horizontal half-strips of the herringbone (so kind of in thirds). Life has been too busy for me to make any further progress on the quilt but the backing is made. :-)

I honestly think having a place to come where I could just vent and share my frustration made it possible for me to work through this. I'm grateful. :-)

Old 07-26-2023, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
I'm happy to say I have figured something out (that I am quite content with) without having to buy more fabric. I adapted one of WMU's ideas and have connected three visually coordinated fabrics with two horizontal half-strips of the herringbone (so kind of in thirds). Life has been too busy for me to make any further progress on the quilt but the backing is made. :-)

I honestly think having a place to come where I could just vent and share my frustration made it possible for me to work through this. I'm grateful. :-)

A place to vent, ask questions, and celebrate success is exactly why we gather together here on the Quilting Board. Happy to be part of this enormous group of helpful quilters.
Old 07-27-2023, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
So I have a question for you, and am hoping to find some encouragement as well...

, I'm just wondering: how do you get past this feeling (if you even experience it) and just "get it done"?
all my quits are double sided, so I'm biased but ask yourself. just when do you see both sides of a quilt???? How does that matter unless you are entering it into an international quilt show? And even then if it was well done you'd get points for quirky and individualistic.
And what other people think never matters. Did it ever stop you from doing something you had your mind set on doing? Then don't let it dissuade you from your long term goals.