BOM 2011

Old 11-18-2010, 12:09 PM

I'm a beginner too, but on the harder ones? I'll try them but if I don't feel I can do it I will either skip that month or find an easier one for me to do, with the BOM's you don't HAVE to do one every month, but I am a firm believer in at least trying it because you never know when it might be the best thing you've ever (or never, whichever the case may be) learned lol.
Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Originally Posted by Qbee
I would like to do it to but am a Major beginner..only finished one quilt top so far. So....and I may be totally wrong here...but it seems that the houses idea would allow for more skill levels...does that make sense. I mean a newbie could do something really easy and the experienced folks could go all out. I think the different kinds of houses would be alot of fun...houses, churchs, schools, outhouses, barns, bird houses, etc. Would be a really cute quilt :) Now...just to educate me, how does the BOM work? Does everyone make a block each month and then they trade them out?
I like the idea of various 'buildings' as well but can we keep it simple? Not only because of beginners but some paper pieced blocks have TINY pieces and my hands don't hold 'tiny' well anymore ... not since they fused my thumb into place. (Dr said it would be fused at the 'most used' position. Apparently that does NOT include picking up needles and pins!)
Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TN Donna
Originally Posted by linmid
I have always wanted to do a row of houses, a row of trees, and a row of stars. There must be a pattern for that somewhere. Right? Oh well I am so new to BOMs I will be happy with just about any kind of BOM.
I have a book I just bought a couple of months ago by Thimbleberries and it has a 12 block that has houses, trees, pinwheels, hourglasses, a picket fence with stars, holly, birds and several other things. It is so unique and you can applique some and piece some and even paper piece some I think. I was looking fo rwhere I laid it. I just had it yesterday.
That book sounds terrific. Do you remember what it's called? I have some Thimbleberries books too.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
Originally Posted by linmid
I have always wanted to do a row of houses, a row of trees, and a row of stars. There must be a pattern for that somewhere. Right? Oh well I am so new to BOMs I will be happy with just about any kind of BOM.
I have a book I just bought a couple of months ago by Thimbleberries and it has a 12 block that has houses, trees, pinwheels, hourglasses, a picket fence with stars, holly, birds and several other things. It is so unique and you can applique some and piece some and even paper piece some I think. I was looking fo rwhere I laid it. I just had it yesterday.
That book sounds terrific. Do you remember what it's called? I have some Thimbleberries books too.
I found it right under my nose as usual. It is called Bloc by Block to Beautiful Quilts. by Lynette Jensen. Copyright is 2009. I ordered it from a book club.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 PM

Your Thimbleberries book sounds really good and it has some wonderful possibilities. What an easy BOM year it would be with all the blocks already decided on. Thank goodness I am not the one that has to make the decision on what we will do. Like I said I will be happy with anything and I love trying new patterns.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Me too. I used to quilt when I was younger but had 4 kids and gave it up. They are now grown and I am trying to get back in the swing. I have too many irons in the fire. I have table runners cut out for my daughters and dil and the trash bags for the cars for the men. My machine was acting up and I just left it. I have got to get back to it. We are having our Thanksgiving Dinner saturday and I want to have my table looking good.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Gday, can i add to the suggestions of BOM of Houses, I would love it to be any sort of House, *out house, *mobile House, *mouse house, *tree house *cubby house, *regal house, *Pooh bears house, * Can any one add to the list of houses..... :)
Old 11-18-2010, 03:23 PM

birdhouses and lighthouses
Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM

Kool, I am going to start and list them now, cause if we don't do this one i think i will just havago. If i get 12 different ones, then it should be a nice size quilt. :)

birdhouses and lighthouses
Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 PM

The book looks great....I was trying to search on the internet to see if they had a pic of the one you are talking about with the houses and the stars. Sometimes websites will show a few pages of the books but not :(
Old 11-18-2010, 11:59 PM

I am so excited with all of the Great ideas that are flowing in!! Keep them coming, as we love to hear them all. I am getting excited to start right now, but will wait until January 1st!!
:D :D :D :D