Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Your tablerunner is absolutely gorgeous. WOW how do you keep it a secret from her?

Enjoy your weekend and friends,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Sherryl,

Thank you soo much!

Well it actually is pretty easy. I usually get up about 6 am and my mom gets up about 9 or 10 and so I slip into our studio and work on it until I hear her moving around. :)

Missy
Old 09-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I'm sorry, but don't be discouraged. Sometimes that is just the way it goes. The first week I started I did everything right (this was a month ago) and I put on 2 lbs. My dad said it was because muscle was replacing the fat and muscle weighs more than fat. So keep at it!!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I am disappointed. I did EVERYTHING I should. I weighed and measured, counted calories. EVERTHING was perfect, perfect, perfect. Sunday is my cheat day. I was going to have pancakes for breakfast Today was weigh in I just knew I had to lose something since I was so good all week. How exciting to get on the scale, would it be 1&1/2 lbs?? 2 would be better. I lost nothing, nada, ubupcus(SP?). I had oatmeal for breakfast instead. (sigh)
Don't be discouraged - these things happen. It will show big time in next week's weigh-in! :D
Old 09-05-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Missy: Is there a pattern for the tablerunner? What is the gold stuff? I love the colors. Great sewing!
Yes there is a pattern for the table runner. I bought it from Bear Paw Productions in Alaska. It is a stained glass quilt. They have a number of other patterns that, to me, are equally pretty. I have made three of her designs so far. It is deceptively easy.

The gold stuff is Clover's fusible bias tape in gold lame. It comes in either 11 yard or 14 yard rolls. It is a 1/4" wide. I love working with it because it makes this stunning effect. I will say that the tape is very spendy. I believe I pay about 18 dollars a roll for it and this particular pattern uses three rolls of it. It also comes in black and forest green and silver plus other colors. The black is cheaper than the gold or the silver. I have used the green to make a Celtic Knot table runner for my father and his wife for Christmas. It turned out awesome.

To sew down the tape you use a double needle (1/4" apart). It is really fast moving and fun to see it come together.

Oh yeah, one last thing, the Clover mini-iron is the PERFECT tool to use when dealing with this tape. Seriously folks. There is no better thing to use.

Anyway, sorry for going on and on. :):):)

Missy
Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
Well Ladies and gent, I am so proud of myself. Friday and Saturday spent some time at Santa-Cali-Gon. It is a fair-craft show that celebrates the beginning of the Santa Clara, California and Oregon trails. All sort of wonderful smelling and taste fair foods were their. I only had 1/4th of a funnel cake with cinnamon and two lemonades and a tri-tip sandwich that was small. I feel so proud of myself. And this morning I had a nice bowl of oatmeal. mmmmmmmm. how is everyone else doing? I will be weighing in this morning to see how much damage I did eating the funnel cake and tri-tip. Hopefully nothing because of all the walking around we had done.
Yay for you!! That would have been big fun to go to!! I bet you did good on the weight thing because of all the walking.

Missy
Old 09-05-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I am disappointed. I did EVERYTHING I should. I weighed and measured, counted calories. EVERTHING was perfect, perfect, perfect. Sunday is my cheat day. I was going to have pancakes for breakfast Today was weigh in I just knew I had to lose something since I was so good all week. How exciting to get on the scale, would it be 1&1/2 lbs?? 2 would be better. I lost nothing, nada, ubupcus(SP?). I had oatmeal for breakfast instead. (sigh)
Oh hun! BIG HUGS!!!! Hang in there. There could be a million reasons why you didn't lose anything. Just keep going and try to remember that you are getting healthy with each bite you take. Even if the scales are not dropping.

I think rewarding yourself with the pancakes is still a good idea. You don't have to eat five of them but you could still do it.

Missy
Old 09-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Thanks Missy. I bought one of the mini-irons a couple of weeks ago. Now instead of having my big ironing board and iron up all the time, I can use a small, table top board and the mini. It works great! And they aren't really expensive. Mine was $6 at Walmart, on sale.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Thanks Missy. I bought one of the mini-irons a couple of weeks ago. Now instead of having my big ironing board and iron up all the time, I can use a small, table top board and the mini. It works great! And they aren't really expensive. Mine was $6 at Walmart, on sale.
Oh that is a great price! You gotta love Walmart. I like having my small ironing blanket on the table to my left when I am sitting the machine and all I have to do is turn to the left to do my pressing. Much easier on my back that is for sure.

Missy
Old 09-05-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Originally Posted by Philarena
Congratulations, Missy on having your quilts in shows! That is such a plus for you and speaks volumes about your talents!
I think your mom is going to be super proud of you when she and your step-dad get home. I hope your sister and your nephew are both doing OK.
Thank you so much!!! I feel kinda self-conscious about my quilts. My mom says they are great and I just feel like maybe everyone can see all my faults and stuff. *sigh* I think it is just inside my head.

Here is the table runner I am working on for my mom for Christmas.

Be brutal here people! Tell me what you really think about it. I want to know so I can change it if possible before I give it to her. 'kay?

Missy
MY brutefully (sp) is that if she doesn't like it send it to me. IT"S FANTASTIC just the way it is. BEAUTIFUL :thumbup:
Old 09-05-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by laureneberhard
Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Originally Posted by Philarena
Congratulations, Missy on having your quilts in shows! That is such a plus for you and speaks volumes about your talents!
I think your mom is going to be super proud of you when she and your step-dad get home. I hope your sister and your nephew are both doing OK.
Thank you so much!!! I feel kinda self-conscious about my quilts. My mom says they are great and I just feel like maybe everyone can see all my faults and stuff. *sigh* I think it is just inside my head.

Here is the table runner I am working on for my mom for Christmas.

Be brutal here people! Tell me what you really think about it. I want to know so I can change it if possible before I give it to her. 'kay?

Missy
MY brutefully (sp) is that if she doesn't like it send it to me. IT"S FANTASTIC just the way it is. BEAUTIFUL :thumbup:
Oh Lauren! Thank you soo much!!

Missy