Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Very Heavy quilt ?? >
  • Very Heavy quilt ??

• Very Heavy quilt ??

Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 AM

Many of our family quilts were "stuffed" with home made batting. We'd collect the wool jackets off of the rag mans' cart. Many were the old wool uniforms, cast away by the war returnees, as WWII had recently ended. Granny would dip them into the cauldron of boiling water for just a couple of minutes to kill anything that was on them. (She told me wool moths.) They were draped across anything that didn't move to dry. Then we'd cut off the buttons. (Usually the buttons had already been removed.) Granny and my aunts would cut the jackets into wide strips, cut the sleeves off and open the seams, and whip stitch them together to form blankets. The pieced quilt tops held the blankets together. There were a lot of tied quilts, but many were cross hatched. They were heavy and they were warm!
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 AM

You are all so great... Thank you so much .. I love all the suggestions.. Now just wondering which to use... Maybe I will make a little sample and see what I think..
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 AM

I have a very heavy quilt made by my great grandmother. It's a scrap quilt made out of cotton and polyester blocks, batting was one layer of cotton and the back is a very heavy sheet. The top is starting to come apart but the back still looks new. It's also tied with white yarn.
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
    Are you sure, it wasn't just because you were small and the quilts might have seemed heavier?
    I'm going to guess not. Cotton batting, common back then, is heavier than poly batting.
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 AM

If you don't use wool wadding, backing the quilt with upholstery material or tapestry-type material will do the trick.
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 AM

When my two oldest girls left home I had a closet with lots of wool jackets, slacks, skirts, etc. I cut them up into simple squares and made quilts out of them. Put a light batting in them and backed them with cotton or flannel. They were heavy and very, very warm.
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 AM

I used Quilters Dream Cotton. You can choose from different batt thicknesses & I wanted just that. I wanted a winter quilt for my last quilt & this one is very heavy. Hancock's carries it & make sure you go with the thicker batt. I don't like all my quilts as thin as what W&N is now. I love a good warm quilt in the good ole winter time!
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
    When my two oldest girls left home I had a closet with lots of wool jackets, slacks, skirts, etc. I cut them up into simple squares and made quilts out of them. Put a light batting in them and backed them with cotton or flannel. They were heavy and very, very warm.
    Great idea.. Our thrift store had wool blazers very cheap.. I think like 1 or 1.50 I thought about buying some of those.
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 AM

Two years ago I made a King Size quilt for my son. He has a king size waterbed and turns his heat down to 68 at night to save $$. I used a layer of fleece and a layer of poly quilt batting. Its a very heavy quilt, but also very warm. He loves it.
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 AM

I made a quillo and when the pockets were stuffed and closed and the backing done. It was heavy, I think it must of weighed about 15 lbs.
    I remember my grandmother making blankets. It was told to me that she made one quilt, but, that I don't know. She got herself army blankets. They are quite warm and heavy and she sewed around the edges of 2 together, and tied them. They were warm