Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do people figure out Medicare parts to sign up for? >

How do people figure out Medicare parts to sign up for?

How do people figure out Medicare parts to sign up for?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 AM

I am just starting in this mess, so I will be watching any updates anyone has. HELP
Old 04-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I'm really glad I asked this question; just wish I'd asked it about 3 months ago!

The answers here have been very helpful. I printed out the entire 2011 Handbook and started looking through parts of it based on the comments in this thread. Think I am beginning to figure it out for my particular situation. Plan to check with a local pharmacy, and will also call our health insurance plan to find out how they work with Medicare (to see if I should add Part B now). Looks like I can wait on Part D as long as I have prescription coverage under our group health plan.

p.s. Will add for those just starting out to be sure and start researching this 3 to 4 months *before* your 65th birthday! It can affect when your coverage starts.

Thanks to all of you, I no longer feel really stupid. This stuff actually *is* complicated and awful!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:06 AM

The way our Part D coverage works is that each year we get a letter that we need to keep saying that we have I think it says creditable coverage, which means that the company drug coverage is as good or better then Medicare part D. Otherwise when we finally did sign up for part d we would have to pay a higher premium monthly forever. As long as you continue to keep drug coverage you are ok as I understand it, anyway.

No, it's not simple at all. No reason to feel overwhelmed by it, it's overwhelming :)
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM

If you wait on part B you may have to pay a pently. Thats what happen to my husband, but his company took care of it.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 AM

As long as your husband is working and the two of you are covered under his insurance plan then all you need is part A.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

i have add, part of my disability, thank god, my dh has a dad on medicare, and my dh interviewd alot of people b4 signing me up
Old 04-11-2011, 11:22 AM

I will not be 65 until next June, but the latest issue of AARP magazine/newsletter that just came out has all the information on what you shoud sign up for and when. See if you can find someone who has that issue and you can read all about it. You are not dumb or stupid, it's just that the government wants to keep every senior citizen in limbo while they screw up our health care a little more.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM

It's governments way of making life more difficult. You do have to take Medicare at age 65. However, if your spouse still works, their insurance is primary and Medicare is secondary. I fit them all the time, since I am a office manager/biller. They don't even know how it all works.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:31 AM

My daughter works for the library in Columbus, Ohio. She said to call the library and ask them. They have a few people to do searches and are hired especially for that purpose. I assume the library's do that in all states. Also, she said to contact your phone, electric and any other services and see if they have a senior discount. She saved my 80 yr old MIL $10.00 off her cable bill. 5 minutes on the phone. It's worth a try.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM

I looked up mine Ins. name. It is new... Mutual of Omaha... Will cover me everywhere , they pay all co-pays and anything medicare does not cover. (EVERYTHING) for $113.00 a month. Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.. One hospital bill could eat that up easy... a years worth. I had Humana.. was told by gentleman who so nicely came to house that I was COVERED everywhere and especially EVERYWHERE in the state of Nevada. We moved 70 miles and I fould out i had no coverage by HUMANA... DD spent 3 days on phone getting me the best deal.... Mutual of Omaha was the best for where I live. Then re: prescriptions, we found Wall-mart was the best. up front $350.00 then $14.00 a month...DD thinks that is for all my meds but I am thinking I still have a co-pay... hmmm have to check this out huh. lol.... Good luck with all these options we have to make in age. So confusing to say the least. Humana USE to have most of my meds for free... just as I had to change over I was having to pay over $100.00 for three months worth::: apeace for two meds I normally only paid $35.00 every three months for. It really went up and I was taking generic medications. That was a BIG jump....