Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do people figure out Medicare parts to sign up for? >

How do people figure out Medicare parts to sign up for?

How do people figure out Medicare parts to sign up for?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 PM

I did not know that about in Calif. Thank you
Old 04-11-2011, 08:29 PM

Over 15 yrs ago right before my husband retired, our mailbox
had something from insurance companies nearly every day,
wanting your business. Really, it became overwhelming.l Icalled our State Insurance Commissioner's office and inquired if they had a spread sheet or 'something' to
simplify the 'sorting out"..Yup, they sure did and sent it
out to us that day. At least in our state, The spread sheet
shows what each company (those that can operate in our state) offer under each plan, A/D/C/D/ etc. It made it very
easy to see what would be best for us. You really need to
be able to see the differences. Also, as mentioned, if you
have like an "Area on Ageing" in your county...they can be]
of great help.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 PM

***You should contact the SS office near you 3 months before your retirement age birthday so that they can get you started in the enrollment process.****

Medicare Part A is Free. Sign up as soon as SS sends you the form. Part A is for hospitalization only.

You don't need Part B IF you have insurance through your husband's work. Your husband's insurance is your primary insurance.
You will have an EFFECTIVE DATE which is when you are eligible for Medicare.
You will have some time to sign up for part B once your husband stops working, but don't let yourself be uninsured.

Part B costs $115.40 for 2011 in Illinois.

When you no longer have your DH's insurance, you will need TO BUY Part B &/or supplemental ins. Supplemental Ins pays what Medicare Part B does not pay & this can be alot if your are hospitalized! The fee for this is based ON YOUR AGE. There are times in your life when the amt. you pay will change. I'm disabled. I am under 62,therefore I pay the highest premium for Part B. I pay the same as a person 86 yrs old & I became eligible at 59.. You will need to check out what is offered when the time comes that you need it.

Medicare has done away with some of their previous programs for new enrollees & at this time "F" is the best choise for supplemental medical coverage. The reason "F" is best is because it pays 100% of everything. I have to pay $203/month for it in my circumstance. That is along witth the $115.40 for Part B.

Medicare Part D is for medicine. If you have this through your husband, you don't need it yet either. I pay about $35.00/month for this and a co-pay of $9.00 for prescriptions. All prescriptions aren't covered. You will get a book of covered medications or you can look them up.

In total I pay $353.00/month for medicare A (free), B, D, & supplemental ins through BCBS per month. This is a LARGE chunk of my Disability check. DH is unemployed due to co. buyout.

As I need more tests, MRI's, CT's, surgeries, etc, if Medicare won't/doesn't pay it, the supplemental BCBS will pick up the entire bill. No co-pays, no other expenses for ANY tests, Physical Therapy, etc.

Medicare does not pay for any dental of any kind. (I think they used to pay for 1 set of dentures every few yrs but I don't know if that is still true since i don't need them.)

Medicare does not pay for any vision unless related to a medical problem like Glaucoma or Cataracs. Then Medicare will pay for the 1st pair of glasses after surgery & that's it.

There is a program in some or all states that helps with questions. Here in Illinois it's called SHIP. Maybe it's called that in all states, but I don't know that for a fact. But you should be able to find the similar program in your state to help with your questions. Then you call the office & you can ask your questions.
Your SS office will send you info if you call & ask them, also.

***You should contact the SS office 3 months before you are going to retire so that they can get you started in the enrollment process.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
Do you have a walgreens? They advertise that they will help
or a senior center
This is just what I was thinking....Brilliant!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I have to do that and have no one around to ask. Printed out something like 163 pages of the Medicare Handbook. Am I dumb or what? Very difficult to figure out.

My husband still works and we have a health coverage plan from his workplace (large company). It looks like I should sign up for Part A and just wait on Part B until he retires or gets laid off. We are both pretty healthy and don't need a lot of drugs, so Part D is out.

I can't believe nobody else gets confused about this stuff. It makes me feel really dumb.......
I love Medicare. It has paid more reliably than the group insurance I had as a Texas teacher--and for the first 20 years I taught, we didn't have any insurance at all. No single teacher could have afforded to buy a private plan.

However, I agree with you that the Medicare handbook is confusing. If you want to spend your time that way, you can figure it out, but there are experts in your community who can tell you what you need to know. Just be careful around the ones who are trying to sell you a supplemental plan or enroll you in a drug plan. Sounds like you've already got both.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM

My husband and I both have Parts A & B with his company medical then becoming the supplemental. We also are very fortunate to have drug coverage through his company.

Bear in mind that Medicare has a deductable and once met will pay 80% of their acceptable fee after which your your secondary will pay their 20% of the balance after Medicare.
Totally confused?

Do as another poster has suggested, get an appointment with your husband's HR person, I'm sure you will get help from them.

Once you get the hang of it, you're going to find that it's really easy to figure out. Medicare dictates what the Participating provider get's paid which amount to diddles, the writeoff will amaze you.
People definitely don't become doctors to make money anymore.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 AM

Please go to "my 3 cents.com" They have all the ratings,horror stories,good reviews,etc on all the insurance plans.Also just call medicare,or SHIPS.com They are the ones to help you with all questions and will find a plan to fit your needs.First you have to know what is available in your area.I live in a rural area where not much is available,but they did find me a great plan.Wellcare is my prescriptions,and I just love them.Never in 5 yrs have I had 1 problem with them.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Everyone's comments have helped. Sandee, I'm printing out your post for reference!

Filed online for Part A over the weekend and got a call today from "US Govt". It was a guy whose job it is to review applications. He said he had noticed that I hadn't worked for quite a few years and might want to file for SS benefits. :shock: :shock: :shock: I had never even thought about this, as my husband is still working and we both thought we would just wait until he retires to file together. But the guy on the phone pointed out that if I wait until age 66 to start collecting my own, it will take me 14 years to make up what I didn't collect for the first year (65). :? It looks as if it may be better for us if I start collecting SS now even though my dh will probably not retire for several more years.

Yikes....... I never even thought about this!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Before you decide not to take Part B, check with his insurance. Our coverage dropped us when we reached 65 even if we were working. They may roll it over to a supplement to the Medicare. You should just go to his benefits department and talk to them before you make any decisions.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM

RE-early SS retirement benefits. Everything I have seen says if you are not working to begin collecting at 62 or in your case, now. We did that and DH began collecting as soon as he was eligible. Did the fellow say whether you can collect on your DH's account? There is something about being able to collect the higher benefit of your own or his. I'm not sure if it's only in case you are widowed...if the fellow gave you his number you might want to talk to him again.