Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Embroidery Machines >
  • Embroidery Machines

• Embroidery Machines

Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by PamB8s
    My husband asked me what I wanted for my 10th wedding anniversary and I have been thinking about an embroidery machine. I don't want to do anything professionally. Just home embroidery, gifts, enhancing quilts. etc. Tell me in your opinion whats a great one to have. Thanks so much, Have a blessed day.
    Many of us quilters/embroiders have the Pfaff 2170 machine, the last and best of the "2100 series". If you quilt and embroider, it is the easiest to switch over from sewing to embr. and takes up less space, and is an awesome machine.

I would suggest whatever you decide on, buy a good used machine that someone has traded in via a dealer or private party that has taken good care of it. A dealer will give you lessons which you might need, and service. No need to buy a brand new machine if you are just starting out. Many of us started out with the "embroidery only" machines, such as the Bernina Deco 500 or 600, and those have a small embroidery field of 4" x 4". You should get something with a bigger hoop so you don't have to keep trading up like many of us have. It's like buying a boat ... you will want bigger and better eventually ... and in that regard, you can get a very good used machine if you look. Brand new Pfaff big bad Creative Vision 5.5 will run you around $7,000. The Bernina 830, (choke) about $11,000.

I'd say go middle of the road with a well cared for used machine and embroider away. Get addicted like the rest of us. :lol:
    Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 AM

I have had a Janome 350e for 4 yrs and would highly recommend it. If you have the budget I would recommend the 350e over the 300 only because it cuts the bobbin thread automatically & has the ability to use a USB stick. As someone else mentioned above, this is not an inexpensive hobby, but then again quilting isn't either. It can be a bit of an investment to get up & going, but once you get a good supply of thread, stabilizers & designs you can add to it fairly inexpensively.
    Old 04-30-2011, 05:26 AM

HI
    I have the Bernina 440 QE - it's a wonderful machine. Also have the Brother 700PE - this is a horrible machine, it is now in storage, can't use it, got tired of dealing with their "lack" of customer service.
    NormaBeth
    Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 AM

I have baby lock ellageo and love it. i do most of my sewing with and and is does a great job with embroidery. It is about 10 years old so i do not have the usb port which is one thing i would get if i got another one.
    Old 04-30-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Brenda M
    I have a Brother Duetta 4500D and I love it. Picked it up a few months back brand new but at a good sale price. It was actually my DH that talked me into it. I love it so far, actually just spent the last 10 hours working on it doing embroidery and character stitches on quilt for GD. It's a great machine and have a lot of fun with it!
    I too have that machine and it is GREAT! I went shopping in July for a machine and my DH talked me into getting the most we could afford so that in a few months I wouldn't be looking to upgrade. It's good advice :) Get the most you can, I really don't think you'll regret it.

robin
    Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 AM

I purchased a "used"....very good Bernina, Artista 180. I have had no problems with it, since it's a sewing center that sold it. I assume it was checked over before it was sold. They gave classes with the purchase of the machine, which I took. If you want to download a lot of designs off of the internet, it's costly. I looked into it and it would cost over $1000 to buy the software. I don't do embroidering professionally so I feel that 's expensive. Unless I buy that software I'm limited to what designs come with the sewing machines. One other comment, my used sewing machine cost $1500. The same sewing machine cost $8000 to buy six years ago. Good luck shopping.
    Old 04-30-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by sunni
    Originally Posted by Brenda M
    I have a Brother Duetta 4500D and I love it. Picked it up a few months back brand new but at a good sale price. It was actually my DH that talked me into it. I love it so far, actually just spent the last 10 hours working on it doing embroidery and character stitches on quilt for GD. It's a great machine and have a lot of fun with it!
    I too have that machine and it is GREAT! I went shopping in July for a machine and my DH talked me into getting the most we could afford so that in a few months I wouldn't be looking to upgrade. It's good advice :) Get the most you can, I really don't think you'll regret it.

robin
    I have the Brother Duetta 4500 also and LOVE it!! Also agree with other posters that if you buy used, make sure there is a USB port. And if you're not familiar with embroidery machines, lessons are so important. I remember bringing mine home, got it out of the box, and just sat and stared at it. Went back the next day for the free lessons. Thought I wouldn't need them - LOL
    Old 04-30-2011, 05:58 AM

A fantastic embroidery machine is the Babylock Ellisimo. It takes a lot of the stress out of hooping straight. It also has large hoop capabilities.
    Old 04-30-2011, 05:58 AM

I have the Brother Innovis Duetta 4500D (disney) and also the ULT 2004 and I love them both. The thing that you should most consider is where is the closest dealer to what you want, after I bought both machines the dealer in Lewiston Maine went out of business so now I have to travel to Biddeford from Waterville which is a hike, The Innovis machines are basically worry and trouble free and I do most of my own repairs. Mine was a floor model and have had no problems at all with the Innovis, the ULT on the other hand gave me fits and I sent it to Brother down south and they put in a new motherboard, since then no problems at all. I'll be curious as to what you get and will follow this thread.
    Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 AM

How about the Bernina 830. Oh how I would love to have one of those machines.[/quote]

That is my "dream machine" but too pricey for me right now (since I have 2 embroidery machines and a sewing machine already). I have a babylock ellageo that I got used at a local sewing center. Got it for a very good price, and it had been serviced regularly at the center. No problems with it in the 4 years I've had it. My friend has a babylock ellegante and loves it.