Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Strep throat.....Strep carrier? >

Strep throat.....Strep carrier?

Strep throat.....Strep carrier?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 AM

Not only can people be carriers but also dogs from an aricle I read. I always
ran toothbrushes throught the dishwasher when on of my 5 got sick and I also
had each of them pick a different colored cup to use when they were small, so that they would not drink from the wrong cup and get sick.
I also agree with boosting his immune system. My neighbors son had to get
his tonsils out due to repeated infections. He grew 3 inches the year after
they came out and he wasn't sick once the year after!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
Absolutely bring up the topic of being a carrier with the Dr. Some people just are carriers and it makes sense that the bug is opportunistic. I've also heard of the family dog being a carrier (after family members were ruled out). Something else I heard recently that I'd never thought of is to change the affected persons toothbrush as part of the treatment.
Changing the toothbrush after each time is very important because he may be reinfecting himslf. I have a granddaughter that got strep every time I turned around and until someone told me about the toothbush she was constantly sick. Another thing we learned is that one round of meds is often not enough to kill it and it just lives there until another illness allows it to raise its ugly head again.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 AM

I have a daughter who experienced the same things when she was around your son's age. The doctor kept giving her antibiotics and saying that she would grow out of it. She never did. So, at 21 she had her tonsils removed. End of infections. It turns out that because she had large, pock-like tonsils, the infection never really went away - it hid. I'd say see an ENT doctor (ear, nose, and throat) for a second opinion. By taking all those antibiotics, he is building up resistance to that family of meds. Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Could you have a ferret by any chance? They can be strep carriers and never show signs of illness! we had a ferret years ago and found this out the hard way..a 10 day course of antibiotics will cure the ferret, then your child shouldn't get it anymore..they can actually pass it back and forth, so both need to be on the antibiotic at the same time. Donna
Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 AM

I would request a "tonsil stone" check. You can google them. My grandson gets them and he was told they do carry other germs.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 AM

My son had strep 4 times in a year. Guess who always got it from him. Had his tonsils taken out and it now manifests on him now in a body rash. At the time we were living in a rural area next to a lake and had well water. The lake was always posted no swimming and on a fluke I took some water for the Dr to test. It had strep bacteria in it. We moved and the health dept closed the well. NO problems since.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 AM

I've been a strep and staph carrier since I was a child. When I have surgery (I've had 3), they always keep me longer because they don't want me to go into strep.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Make sure when you treat the strep, that the correct antibiotics are given and that the prescription is completely finished. My daughter had strep infection in her ears and it wasn't until they cultured the fluid and figured out that it was strep, then treated it correctly.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by so-sew
Hi. Hope someone out there has a medical degree pertinent to this question. My 9 year old son has had strep throat 4 times in the past 4 months. It seems to always present itself a couple days after the onset of another illness, such as a common cold or stomach flu. Is it possible he is a carrier and when his immunity is compromised by another active illness, the strep bug rears it's ugly head? Similarly, could it be that one of us family members is a carrier and he is susceptible when his immunity is lowered by another illness. The doc hasn't suggested that we all get tested, but when is that protocol? As a side note, I want to assure you that he has completed each round of antibiotic as prescribed. Thanks. :?: :) :?:
There is a test to determine whether you are a strep carrier. Ask your physician. froggyintexas
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM

My daughter is a teacher and at the begining of each year she would get strep she had her tonsils out and this year no strep ?????