Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine? >

Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Anyone quilt a queen or king on domestic machine?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 AM

I have done a California King on an Elna stitch in the ditch and a regular King on a Viking Sapphire 830 using meandering free motion. Not impossible and also rewarding. I used Quilters Dream for the Caking and Warm and Natural for the reg King.

Good luck and happy sewing.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:51 AM

I've done many over the years. The trick for me is to make sure you have enough table space all around you to hold the part of the quilt you aren't sewing on. It is heavy and needs the support of a table under it.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Thusnelda
I quilted my new bed throw on my Pfaff, but I also only used SID quilting. I guess with a lot of practice one could also do free-motion quilting. In that case one option I once saw was to sit in front of the side of the machine, so that you have the machine lengthwise in front of you (I hope everybody knows what I mean). That way you can have the rolled up part of the quilt behind the needle and quilt from left to right.
I think that's the best idea for FMQ a large quilt I've ever heard!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Marion T
I quilted an 84" quilt on my domestic machine. It was pretty hard. Now I don't make the quilts so big! I've never used a professional quilter, because I like to finish things myself.
see that's how i am too. i want to be able to look at it and know i ded the whole thing myself
Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM

People will find a way to do something to save money. Not everyone can afford a longarmer and there are those who want to complete 100% of their quilts. No, it's not an easy task to do a King Size quilt on a small harped machine. But, it might be easier than coughing up the money for a longarmer;>
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

I did on a Janome 6500 but I think it would be possible on a regular full size machine too. I used Warm and Natural batting. Warm and Natural is low loft and it can be stitched 11 inches apart. It is a big job.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-94447-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-101630-1.htm
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
People will find a way to do something to save money. Not everyone can afford a longarmer and there are those who want to complete 100% of their quilts. No, it's not an easy task to do a King Size quilt on a small harped machine. But, it might be easier than coughing up the money for a longarmer;>

:thumbup:
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 AM

I have quilted queen and king on my DSM. I just have an extra table behind my machine and a table on my left to hold the bulk. (Your ironing board is great for this) I just "smoosh" the parts I am not FMQing up under the arm. The key (for me) is to baste the quilt. I baste with water soluble thread, in a grid all over the quilt, then remove the basting pins. You could also stitch in the ditch around your blocks and accomplish the same. It just makes a huge difference to stabilize your quilt before starting. It is most definately possible and doable!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 AM

I have done both. It's quite a job, but it can be done. I just finished a big king, which I won't do again. You have to be sure you have all 3 layers pinned together, without any puckers in backing. Then start rolling from the right side(right side up)to the middle of quilt. Now the begins: stuff the rolled part thru the open space between motor and stitching needle. Work on thei half unrolling for each (next) row. It's best to don one row vertically-- then reroll from botton or top to center and do one horizonattly(SP). Now re roll from side to center and work to end of side. Turn quilt bottom edge up, reroll, and quilt.
I know that you can some sort of clips to put arnd the rolled part, we were told to use the old fashioned bicycle pant clips. I managed to fine them, but ended up just shoving the roll thru. It can be done, I've done several queen and king. Takes a lot of time and patience. We were to told to use a GOOD invisible thread for the top thread. Be sure to get a strong one or you'll be fighting breakage all the time. Use quilting thread on bobbin, it does work. Good Luck, Mary Lou (hope this makes sense to you, if not email me at [email protected] and I'll try to make instructions a little more clear)
Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 AM

I did it ONCE, said never again and started sending anything larger than a twin to a LAer, then became a LAer. There's not enough drugs and alcohol to make me quilt with my sewing machine....