Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I knew this might happen. >

I knew this might happen.

I knew this might happen.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:03 AM

For sure take it apart and look for a bit of the needle jammed in there somewhere.. the other thing I have heard of happening is that the shaft holding the needle can get slightly bent from a hard impact.. if you don't find a needle bit I'd have it checked .. sorry you're having problems.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:19 AM

Think positive thoughts, and when its fixed, be thankful. Hugs & kisses!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 AM

I did something similar on my Janome when it was new. I took it to be repaired and was told it would be cheaper to pay for a tune up than repair. and it would accomplish the same thing. I did it again a couple of months ago and the machine still works fine but my needle threader doesn't work. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:42 AM

I'm so sorry about this. I did something similar; I jammed my needle, which broke, and the computer froze. I replaced the needle, but the needle would not change position. I turned the machine off, turned it back on, manually moved the needle from side to side, and was miraculously back in business. I sure was praying a lot, too! I hope it's something simple for you, too.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 AM

Since you've only had it a month I would see about taking it back??
Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 AM

Just recently I was sewing something and had the walking foot attached to my Brother machine. I forgot to put my post-it note in front of the needle area "ADJUST NEEDLE" and when I turned the machine on and started to sew the needle came down and hit the foot so hard the needle broke. The needle was in the wrong position.
I thought I was ok and replaced the needle, but since then the walking foot won't work. The needle won't go up and down in the hole area but hits on the foot. I'm afraid i have bent the area where the needle goes. I'm definately going to buy a new walking foot and I hope it works. I hope there isn't any permanent damage to my machine. I have to leave the post-it note to myself on the machine every time to check the needle position before I start stitching. I'm really not C-nile, but I sometimes feel like it.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:04 AM

Sounds like your timing might be off.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 AM

My question is why would the Brother machines be programmed to start up in the left position of the needle? That sounds like an accident ready to happen anyway. Most of the machines I've ever had revert back to center position after it is shut off and turned back on. Hope it can be fixed soon and with little or no cost to you. I'm like others, it should still be under waranty. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 AM

I've done it too. Usually I just turn it off and it resets. I've never had to replace a needle...yet.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 AM

I mostly use my Brother SL 9000 and use that 1/4 inch foot. When I turn on the machine I simply hit the computerized button for it to go to 01 and it sets it in the middle. When I turn of the machine it sets it to the left to 00 so I know to hit that button to 01 when I turn it on now.

I had it happen a couple times at the beginning and this lady showed me to use the button to move it to center.