Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with finished quilts? >

What do you do with finished quilts?

What do you do with finished quilts?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 AM

I make quilts for the homeless and other people in need..like the tornado, flood victims..I was looking for a place to donate them, prayed and the Lord led me to a little thrift store near me..They give food, clothes and other items to people that need help, like house burning, without a job, etc.. I asked if they could use quilts...so now they save me there material and sewing items..wanted to give it to me free, but I pay them a little, being I'm on SS..they are happy and I feel good knowing my quilts are going to someone that needs it..
I'm sure there is somewhere in your area, that also helps people in need.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Swap Hosts

So far, I've only kept one.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:14 AM

Gifts and charity.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by BeckyL
good question, some I give as gifts, some to charity, some I hoard because I'm just not ready to part with them. They are somewhat like my "children". I have to let them get old enough to move away from home. lol
This says it so well. That's how I do it also.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 AM

I finally have quilts all over the house, after years of giving them for gifts. My china hutch now displays beautiful quilts. I change with seasons and that is lots of fun. All beds have quilts. Some of my show quilts are displayed on walls.I love color and lots of texture. Now when someone comes over and ooo's over a quilt they may just get to go home with one.Last year I made 10 family pride quilts. Kept one for myself, gave one to my nephew and the rest I take with me on trips and hand out to military people we meet along the way. I have had some awesome experiences doing this. I need to make up some more. Also all quilts that I have made have been test slept by my DH. That is his favorite job :-D
Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 AM

I make them as gifts or I make them for LInus. And then again I make them just because I love doing them. I have them on the armchairs and the couch, at the end of the bed, on a quilt rack ny husband made for me, and some are folded away in a cupboard as I have no more places to display them
Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 AM

finished? (Six to go - nothing new until these are done.)
Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 AM

I give mine to Hospice. They can always use a lap quilt!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I visited with a friend of mine in May and showed her pictures of some of the newest quilts I had made. This one is for...........and that one is for............She chuckeled and asked me where was hers? (Mud on face.) Karen was the one that chaffeured me around when I bought my new machine, Karen was the one that took me to purchase fabrics and got me to all of my doctors appointments when I was ill. How could I have forgotten about Karen? :-(
Just make her one and tell her you were waiting to find just the right fabrics and pattern to suit such a wonderful friend like her.

I make quilts for family and friends, plenty of new babies in our families the past few years, also make many quilts, tops or blocks for charity groups and my guild as well as pillowcases for kids in hospitals. My big push now is to make sure all grandkids have at least a twin size quilt, many have baby or lap sized ones, but grandma is getting older and want to make them big ones while I'm able to cut, sew and finish quilts. Top of my list to make is one for soon to be born 1st great grandchild, twin one for DGD who will be in college in the Fall, another for DGD who has her own condo and another DGD who recently got engaged. Also have some lap and wall size ones that I display at home or use to keep DH and myself warm and comfy during the cold weather. Recently went through and donated small quilts I have made over the years for Guild challenges, and found a lovely kimino one I had forgotten about - need to find a place to display this one. Oh so many quilts in my head and so little time, LOL! May in Jersey
Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 AM

I have them all over the house, others I give as gifts and to the guild for charity quilts

FREE Quilting Newsletter