Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Look what hubby made for me today... >

Look what hubby made for me today...

Look what hubby made for me today...

Old 06-19-2011, 10:16 AM

My hubby made me one also. I use his C clamps that he had in his shop. You can adjust them to be as tight as you want. They come in all different sizes from a place like Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA
I found a picture on the internet of this quilting frame, printed it off and hubby made me one today. He also made me 2 'additional' 10 in legs to slip on the back legs so the frame will tilt towards me when I am using it by myself. Here it is.

The only 'problem' I am having is the snap clamps we bought at Lowes in the plumbing dept. aren't tight enough to hold the quilt onto the frame. They hold it on, just not tight enough, any suggestions?
Recently my husband made one for me - Joanne's had them for $99. The snap clamps from my small lap size frame work really well and Joanne's does sell replacement clamps. I have 4 and use two on each long side and so far they are fine. I may order replacements so I can use them on the shorter sides also.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 AM

I use mine for hand quilting. After doing all of my hand quilting in a lap frame, this is so much better. Try it again and you might find that you like it.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns
I have a question..as a newbie quilter..what are these used for? I have a brand new one in my closet in a box..I tried it once..and just could not get it to work. So back in the box, way back in the closet...to never be touched again.
I have one my hubby made for me and I love it. I was doing all of my hand quilting with a lap frame. Now, my hand quilting goes easier and faster. Try it again, you might really like it. Another benefit, I leave it up with my quilt in it and then I can hand quilt for as many minutes as I have time, anytime.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Where can I find the picture of the frame on the internet?? I want to make one of those for me. Any help would be appreciated.

debra
Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM

That is exactly what I use...when I'm done with it...it folds down and fits perfectly under the bed or in a closet...and lightweight too!!! :thumbup:
Old 06-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Very nice.....quilt frame and hubby!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA
I found a picture on the internet of this quilting frame, printed it off and hubby made me one today. He also made me 2 'additional' 10 in legs to slip on the back legs so the frame will tilt towards me when I am using it by myself. Here it is.

The only 'problem' I am having is the snap clamps we bought at Lowes in the plumbing dept. aren't tight enough to hold the quilt onto the frame. They hold it on, just not tight enough, any suggestions?
I like those black V-shaped paper clips. They come in several sizes and are strong enuf to hold up the house.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:27 PM

I got peal and stick sandpaper and cut it into strips and adhered it to the top of frame and underside of clamps and it held the quilt very tight.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:44 PM

I made one, too. Stuck smaller pipes inside each leg, drilled a hole thru the outside one about an inch from the bottom. Drilled holes thru the smaller pipes every inch up the pipe. When assembled, I could adjust the length of the legs by sticking a bolt thru the hole in the outside leg and thru the proper hole on the inside leg. Could make the back legs longer to tilt it, or make all the legs the same length. Never did use it as a quilt frame! Put plywood on top and had an adjustable table!