Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing a mess!!!!!! >

sewing a mess!!!!!!

sewing a mess!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by zenabe
Hi, I straighten my sewing room almost every time I use it. As soon as I start my project(s), it seems to look like a tornado hit it. I can't seem to keep it straighten up. Any suggestions? Or do I just live with it and this is the way it goes. How do I stay organized?
Yup! Same thing happens to me. Even more so when I'm doing a scrappy quilt because I have so many scraps out at one time. This is one reason why I only sew one project at a time. I may be buying fabric for my next project and planning the net 2 projects after that, but only have one spread out all over my sewing room t a time and I don't clen the room until that project is completely finished.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:26 AM

Albert Einstien said that a clean desk was the sign of a dull mind....Keep the mess and enjoy the freedonm
Old 06-23-2011, 04:26 AM

Creative people often work in what appears to others to be a chaotic environment.Don't lose any sleep over it. I clean up between projects and try not to start another before the current one is finished.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:28 AM

Ok, here it goes. Leave the sewing room alone and everyone will think you are still busy sewing or quilting and they will not bother you for anything else. No matter what I do mine will always look the same.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:42 AM

I loved the dynamite idea. I have felt that way myself.

Three weeks ago my family came to visit for my sons graduation from High School. I had to put as much sewing stuff in a closet including fabric, the rest of the fabric had to go to the basement in oder to make room for my husband and I to sleep in there. It looks so nice I almost didn't bring it all back out but since I joined a block of the month group I am going to have to which I am happy about. I want to continue to sew no matter the mess. :)
Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 AM

My rule of thumb is clean off my entire area with the start of a new quilt. Oh I pick up cut peices and tidy up as I go, but I have a shoe box on my table and my accessories I'm using go into that box, scisssors, threads, pins, tape measure....you get the picture. That way I can clear my table to cut and sew, but I don't have to clean up every day. And when I'm done with "that" quilt I put away everything and start all over again.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 AM

I try to straiten up after every project I finish
Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 AM

Oh my, clean up? I try and I try and then...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215549.jpe  
Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by zenabe
Hi, I straighten my sewing room almost every time I use it. As soon as I start my project(s), it seems to look like a tornado hit it. I can't seem to keep it straighten up. Any suggestions? Or do I just live with it and this is the way it goes. How do I stay organized?
I was a secretary for 40-plus years. Prominently displayed over my desk for most of those years was a sign that said: "A Clean Desk is the Sign of a Sick Mind." Works for my sewing room too. I clean my sewing room when I run out of a flat surface to cut fabric.

Have you ever watched Eleanor Burns toss the scraps over her shoulder onto the floor? Just imagine cleaning up after her.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 AM

I have not found that yet.