Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bottom line thread >

Bottom line thread

Bottom line thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I've ever used the same thread in the bobbin as the top. I always use bobbin thread for the bobbin when piecing in the color of my backing. I use all brands of thin thread. My very favorite is silk thread for bobbin and top for machine quilting. The thread is super strong and seems to melt into the fabric. It's expensive but I watch for sales and have a good collection of the YLI mini cones. Superior now has silk thread and it's very good Invisifil and Glide are the next two favorites. Aurifil bobbin thread is very good for top and bottom. C&C has a super fine bobbin thread on a mini spool it's size #80. I experiment with all types of threads. I like Connecting Threads Pro threads when I want the stitches to stand out, it's strong and doesn't break at high speed. My stash of threads is about the same as my stash of fabrics. I have to have both.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM

never even knew there was special thread for the bobbin...i always use the same, or if i am just piecing, i will use up my 1/2 filled bobbins...will have to look for and try this bottom thread...thanks for the heads up...
Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 AM

Just a question to all your ladies who use this thread, do you use it ALL the time or just for FMQ?

BTW thank you so much for all the responses I have learnt so much, mind you with quilting you always do which is why I love it so much.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 AM

polyparrot, your quilts are awesome and I see what you mean about the quilting, beautiful :thumbup:
Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Mae

The YLI bobbin thread is 60wt and only 2 ply.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 AM

I, too love Bottom Line in the bobbin, and I use different threads on top in my HQ.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 AM

love love love love Bottom line from Superior Threads, it is my almost always choice. I use a neutral silver for most everything, but have the colors for machine embroidery. I also love So Fine for top threads in quilting. I recommend you go to the Superior Threads web site for all kinds of thread options and some superior thread wisdom. You can trust these folks an will never regret a purchase from them.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
Has anybody used BL on an embroidery machine? It takes SO much thread. You are often using several different threads in your design and it's a pain matching up bobbin thread. And expensive.
I don't think I've ever used tried to match threads with my embroidery machine. I use a very fine white poly bobbin thread for just about everything, I tighten up the bobbin tension so that it pulls the needle thread to the back of the design.

I'm not real experienced with machine embroidery, but I think that the needle thread usually shows more on the back even than the bobbin thread does. I would think that unless you're embroidering on a dark fabric where you'd want to camouflage the bobbin thread, the white or off-white bobbin thread would work great for everything else.

If you're using your regular embroidery thread and matching it to the needle thread, then you're possibly making your embroidery too dense and as you've found, spending a lot more money on embroidery thread. The very fine bobbin thread makes the design easier to stitch and more flexible. :)
Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Just a question to all your ladies who use this thread, do you use it ALL the time or just for FMQ?
Not all the time, but in any place where you need a fine, strong thread.

I wouldn't use it for hand or free-motion machine embroidery unless I wanted a very tiny, thin line - butterfly antennae or a fine tendril.

But, I really like it for hand applique and any kind of machine sewing, in the bobbin or in the needle.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:51 AM

I don't think I've ever used tried to match threads with my embroidery machine. I use a very fine white poly bobbin thread for just about everything, I tighten up the bobbin tension so that it pulls the needle thread to the back of the design.

I you are doing a pattern that will show on both sides as in dish towels, I like the old fashioned DOW patterns with lots of bright colors, you will want the back to look like the front as much as possible. Of course if you are doing a pattern that will not be seen from both sides it does not matter. Bottom line is very economical for all kinds of sewing, the fine thread goes a very long way Bobbins go on forever, and if you are doing hand appliqué it just disappear into the design. I buy large cones of the neutral stuff but have small spools of the colors, enough to give me a great range of choice. I also like fine line from superior and it is great for quilting where you want a bit of color on both sides of the quilt. I don't want to limit myself in quilt patterns, or fabric so why would I limit myself with thread. I have lots of kinds, and colors.....makes it interesting to plan the quilting part of the quilt.