Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bottom line thread >

Bottom line thread

Bottom line thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

with all this thread talk I went to my fave distributor and check on prices...funny how everyone thinks Aurifil is costly, but in comparison per yard, it is cheaper than the Masterpiece!
Aurifil Mako Cotton Embroidery Thread 50wt 6452yds Solid MSRP $40.00

MasterPiece Cotton Thread 2-ply 50wt 3000yds Bisque MSRP $29.98

that is quite a difference!

Also under Superior thread they show a SILK 100wt..has anyone used that yet??

I also see that the Masterpiece now has prewound bobbins in dark neutrals and light neutrals! LOVE those for hand work...
Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I've just tried using Bottom Line on top for some stitch in the ditch, because it was the only spool I had in the colour I wanted. It worked really well: because it's so fine, it doesn't show.
What a fantastic tip, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Originally Posted by annesthreads
I've just tried using Bottom Line on top for some stitch in the ditch, because it was the only spool I had in the colour I wanted. It worked really well: because it's so fine, it doesn't show.
What a fantastic tip, thanks for sharing.
You're welcome - but if anyone has any views on why it might not be such a good idea to do this, please tell me! I was very pleased: I usually use mono-poly thread, but I don't like using it, and the Bottom Line seemed like a good alternative - so fine that it doesn't show, and plenty of colours available.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
so for those who use the BL in the bobbin are you NOT using a cotton thread on top either???

or do you use mix, cotton on top and poly on the bottom?
Of course I use cotton on the top....you can use any kind of thread with bottom line in the bobbin. And it is very fine and very strong....just try to snap break this thread....the rule of fine=weak is not universally true.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 AM

I you have any questions about tension or settings for using bottom line (or any other of their threads), top or bottom just go to the superior web site and ask, they are very helpful with answers and give good information.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:33 AM
Banned

I just wondered about the mixing of cotton and poly because it has been proved that the poly can cut through the cotton with everyday use(friction)...so I was always told NOT to mix threads.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I just wondered about the mixing of cotton and poly because it has been proved that the poly can cut through the cotton with everyday use(friction)...so I was always told NOT to mix threads.
not so, this is a sewing myth....look at the hem of your cotton knit tee shirt....has the polyester cut through the cotton as of yet...I mix all kinds of threads as the whim hits me and so far no problems..Go to the superior thread site, ask questions, read the informative stuff. The only reason you learn the rules is so you will know which ones to break. I was told a lot of things by all the Wise ones of the day when I was a kid. Most of that has proved not true or at least mutable. I do remember as a kid there was a saying..."you could no more do that than fly to the moon" Well we have been to the moon and you can see video's of the surface of Mars too if you want. What would Leonardo Da Vinci have thought if he could see the photo of a Galaxy far far away that I have as my desktop background on the computer. Don't worry about doing it wrong and just do it. The only thing that will happen is that you might make a non life threatening mistake...Go, do, experiment. Remember it is only a quilt, not life and death....so what if you quilt doesn't last a hundred years....you won't be around to see and neither will I. Nothing lasts forever.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46
I you have any questions about tension or settings for using bottom line (or any other of their threads), top or bottom just go to the superior web site and ask, they are very helpful with answers and give good information.
I did just that but I will have to have a spare hour, or two to go thro' all the info available but I will as it so informative and FREE, I love free :lol:

For anyone interested, here is the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/
Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM

I have used the bottom line and it's wonderful. However, I purchase mine through KenQuilt because it was cheaper and since we are just beginning that was quite helpful. Same thread - lesser price.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM

I love the Botton Line by Superior Thread. I am now only using their thread. King Tut for all of my top quilting.
I use their prewound bobbins.