Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bottom line thread >

Bottom line thread

Bottom line thread

Old 06-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Dee

I learned something new. Never heard of bottom line thread. I always learn something new on this board.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
I learned something new. Never heard of bottom line thread. I always learn something new on this board.
Me too :-)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Ordered it but have yet to try it. Recommended by a new quilting friend. Nice reading all the positive comments. I have been using SewFine thread in both and am happy with the results as well.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Banned

I used to use Bottom Line, but had weird tension issues so I switched to Superior's So Fine a couple of years ago and use for both bobbin and top thread. It is a fine poly thread, but feels and looks like cotton, really sinks into the quilt for machine quilting on my longarm, and seems to hold up better than Bottom Line if a quilt is going to be wrangled, wrapped in, or slept upon. So Fine is my favorite for all of my piecing as well!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by SuperiorThreads
We have a library of education on our website that will help troubleshoot any tension problems that may arise as well as several reference guides to help choose which type of thread to use for your project!
http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/
http://www.superiorthreads.com/page/330/
It is absolutely fine to use a different weight and fiber for your top/bottom threads. As long as the thickness of both top and bottom are relatively close (A 40 wt. on top with a 50 wt on bottom), you can achieve a tight stitch. When you are using a thick thread on top with a very thin thread on bottom, stitches tend to become uneven.
How kind of you to take the time to post this reply, it is so useful, can I safely assume that I allowed to print off copies for my Patchwork Classes?

Thank you again.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM

Bob at Superior thread and his wife, Heather, are the nicest people that you ever met. If you ever have a chance to catch his seminars they are so informative. Customer service is just great! They really are there to help. His staff is unbelievable!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:07 AM

I am doing a lot of FMQ at present, on my special bedding, and I am using the project to practise new stitches. Without thinking on the second one I used the same bobbin thread as the top, wrong...... not looking at the pattern as it is my first attempt but at the stitching you can see the uneven tension and knots :thumbdown:

Compare that to the one that I use the bobbin thread you can see why I will be using the bottom line thread from now on.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 AM

[quote=QultingaddictUK]I am doing a lot of FMQ at present, on my special bedding, and I am using the project to practise new stitches. Without thinking on the second one I used the same bobbin thread as the top, wrong...... not looking at the pattern as it is my first attempt but at the stitching you can see the uneven tension and knots
Compare that to the one that I use the bobbin thread you can see why I will be using the bottom line thread from now on.

Your stitches look great. Being able to practice with different threads top and bottom along with tension will make you a quilting pro.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 PM

So I can use any color in the top and then perhaps white or silver in the bobbin and it will look good on the back of my quilt?! That would definitely make it worth while to purchase some!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Amen to that!