Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
log cabin PP or not? >

log cabin PP or not?

log cabin PP or not?

Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I heavily starch backing fabrics with a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, painting it on until the fabric is saturated. I toss the saturated fabric in the dryer, then iron with steam. There has been no problem with starch in the dryer.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ann912
My tries at LC came out wonky too. Where do you ladies get the PP foundations?
There is one here: http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LogCabinBlock.html but it is easy enough to draw one out yourself once you see the principal.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
Originally Posted by Lori S
I really do not like taking the papers out when paper piecing. I love the method for some blocks. But for a log cabin where there are no "points" ... I would starch my fabric prior to cutting ( I use a pretty heavy starch). Then cut my strips. I make log cabins with strips as narrow a 1 1/4 inch . For me it goes much faster than P/P and I can get very accurate using starch( be very generous) and my 1/4 inch foot.
Starch tip- use the Stay - flo concentrate in the blue bottle ( I find it at Walmart in the laundry section) dilute it about 2 parts water to 1 part starch. I dip the fabrics in... let it saturate , use a drying rack for drying. then iron. You will be pleasently surprised at the difference it makes in the final results. This part takes a bit of time ... but soo worth it. Once I have it starched , ironed and cut ... I am off to the races so to speak... It goes so fast then.
I find the accuarcy is so good I have not had to square up till the end and then it was so minimal it was non -existant.
Lori S: Do you not place the fabrics in the dryer because the starch might end up in the dryer? I have a small place and really don't have a place to hang dry (maybe the bathtub, hum). I like the sound of what you do. It seems like I just spray, spray and spray. Which takes a lot of time. I use the June Tailor ruler to cut my strips so they are straight. For me the LC went fairly quick. I like PP but I think if it is going to be a larger size then PP would be a lot of trouble. Good Luck BrendaK
You can put them in the dryer you do loose some of the starch but you can always increase the strenght. I don't use spray as it cheaper to mix my own from the concentrate. But there is no reason why you can't use the spray. If you are concerned about damage to the dryer ..no need to be concerned any strach that comes of is air born and go out through the vent. Fabric starch really is just corn starch and water that has been cooked so it stays in solution better.
I did not starch fabrics for years ( I've been quilting since before the rotary cutter) , once I started many moons ago I loved the results ... I use concentrate as it is cheaper and I can mix strenghts to what my needs are.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:22 PM

Line dried clothing can be as stiff as a board if there is no wind. The tumbling in the dryer seems to soften the effect.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:33 PM

I have to PP a logcabin or a courthouse steps pattern otherwise they get wonky!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Thank you.

There is one here: http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LogCabinBlock.html but it is easy enough to draw one out yourself once you see the principal.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I would PP a very small log cabin pattern, but not the rest.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I really like Elanor Burns Log cabin book for regular sized blocks. Very nice quick rotary cutting technique.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 AM

I just finished a log cabin for a wedding gift. I also chain pieced it with no problem. I cut as accurately as I can, pin the ends & make an effort not to stretch or distort the fabric. Never squared and had no problems. Paper piecing is a last resort for me! Too much time, effort and all that wasted paper? No thanks!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 AM

log cabin is easy enough y go through all the time n trouble printing...then te dreaded ripping the paper off. save that for the more elaborate patterns
Old 07-02-2011, 03:34 AM

I have a cheater foot for 1/4 piecing. Has a little metal bar to keep me sewing at 1/4" Makes life easier & seams straighter. Didn't have it on my first long cabin & it was hard to keep all those seams straight. I remember wondering why the log cabin is recommended to beginners.

ava