Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color, Hue and scale >

Color, Hue and scale

Color, Hue and scale

Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 AM

What a lot of good positive comments for seamstone or anyone else teaching or learning about colors. At times I think I am color challenged because of the way I pick my colors for a quilt compared to the way a friend of mine picks her colors. Both of our projects usually turn out nice but in a different way. My friend is a few years younger than I am and I think that has something to do with the way she picks her fabric and the way I pick mine. She usually goes for the new bright and bold and I like the softer and quieter fabrics. It is always fun to see how each turn out with the difference in fabric choices.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 AM

I think CKCOWL had it right. In scrappy quilts, value is the important factor. The scan, copy in greyscale method is a wonderful tool for scrappy quilters.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 AM

I ask people who have trouble with color selections to choose one print fabric that they just love, one that has several colors in it. Then I ask them to choose individual colors from that print, find fabric in each of those colors , maybe even use the color swatches on the selvage edge to make these selections. I think people are drawn to color combinations which appeal to them, and once they explore color this way they are often set free to explore some more :o)
Old 07-18-2011, 07:12 AM

I often have a problem in buying fabrics for quilts--lots of my choices seem just a tad off. That said, when I paint, I can instinctively mix paint colors. Go figure.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 AM

i haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if i repeat someone--perhaps you could buy a red and/or green "viewer" for her to use when she looks through her fabric. i use an old clear red clipboard that was being tossed out at work--it gives me an idea of where i'm going with values.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:25 AM

I think we will work with a book, the color chips and a few magazines and do some table runners. Right now she has enough tops to finish that she can work through the summer into fall on what she has put together.

I have several interesting quilts on the design board including a cathedral windows bargello, another Mexican star and another batik log cabin. I am going to pull chips for these project even though I have the fabric picked to show her how to make it flow.

We are starting this logcabin this weekend. Cutting it with an Accuquilt which is another eye-opening experience that she is looking forward to.

She knows she is in a rut and really wants to explore some things.

I really do appreciate the ideas. She works so hard at this and really puts her heart into it.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
When I make a scrappy quilt, I don't pay much attention to anything other than value. I use batiks and prints and solids and mix them all together. Many of the fabrics clash with each other, and often clashing fabrics are right beside each other. However, there are probably at least 100 fabrics in each quilt, each one is only 1" wide, and I think they all play well together. I never seem to have enough light fabrics, so a medium fabric may get mixed in where the lights should be. The same medium may get mixed in with the darks in another block. So I'm probably breaking all your rules - but I like to use up my scraps. I wouldn't buy all these fabrics for the purpose of putting them together, but hey, scrappy is scrappy! If your friend's quilts really look bad, she just isn't cutting the fabrics into small enough pieces. ;-)
Love it, Dunster...my kind of scrappy quilt! I couldn't coordinate fabrics if my life depended on it, but I sure do know light from dark!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by gramarraine
What a lot of good positive comments for seamstone or anyone else teaching or learning about colors. At times I think I am color challenged because of the way I pick my colors for a quilt compared to the way a friend of mine picks her colors. Both of our projects usually turn out nice but in a different way. My friend is a few years younger than I am and I think that has something to do with the way she picks her fabric and the way I pick mine. She usually goes for the new bright and bold and I like the softer and quieter fabrics. It is always fun to see how each turn out with the difference in fabric choices.
I think we all see colors differently...when a quilter friend of mine says there's too much green in a yellow fabric, all I see is the yellow! Same goes if she says it looks muddy...where's the dirt??? :shock:
Old 07-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seamstome
I think we will work with a book, the color chips and a few magazines and do some table runners. Right now she has enough tops to finish that she can work through the summer into fall on what she has put together.

I have several interesting quilts on the design board including a cathedral windows bargello, another Mexican star and another batik log cabin. I am going to pull chips for these project even though I have the fabric picked to show her how to make it flow.

We are starting this logcabin this weekend. Cutting it with an Accuquilt which is another eye-opening experience that she is looking forward to.

She knows she is in a rut and really wants to explore some things.

I really do appreciate the ideas. She works so hard at this and really puts her heart into it.
Hey you've got the design board--cut up some squares, rectangles and triangles of compatible size. Use them to "audition" colors or fabrics for blocks.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
EC

Have your friend try this color-blind self test.

http://tjshome.com/selftest.php