Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
???? Longarm quilting machines >

???? Longarm quilting machines

???? Longarm quilting machines

Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 AM

I recently purchased a Tin Lizzie 18. It is easy to use and comes with a stitch regulator. You can check out their website to see if it is something you would like. It has a wider bed on it and you can quilt without purchasing an extra extension table.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 AM

It sounds to me like you are embroidering pieces that you sew together to make a quilt, as opposed to having a whole cloth top on which you embroider. If that's the case, then you could use a multitude of QAYG or quilt in sections techniques on a domestic sewing machine.

As others have indicated, there are LAQs out there that would be happy to quilt your large embroidered quilts. You need to ask yourself ...

How many of these large, king size, quilts do you plan on making?
How much would it cost to have that many quilts done by someone else (get several quotes)? Is that less than the cost of a LA machine with maintenance, etc?

Do you have a large amount of space to dedicate to a LA machine?

Do you want to spend your time doing LAQing or machine embroidering?

As someone else mentioned, do you want to turn your hobby into a business?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 AM

I have a Nolting Pro 24 and love it. Before I bought my husband and I did a lot of research both on the internet and at dealers. The Nolting was our favorite, it a real work horse. It has everthing I will ever need, is easy to load the quilt and remove. I think you should try as many different ones as you can and pick the one you like the best. Good Luck
Old 07-19-2011, 05:10 AM

There are some LQS that will rent LA machines. If you can find one in your area and have a top that you don't mind practicing on, I would try that first. You can't know all the tension problems and different things that arise when LAing. I have a Gammill and love it when she is working great, hate her when she has a stubborn streak and I have to mess with the tension. If you make lots of quilts and have to pay someone to quilt them, it will benefit you to have a LA.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 AM

I bought mine used and I didn't spend anywhere near $15,000. It's a Voyager 17 with a Hinterburg stretch frame. I get excellent service from the company even though I bought it second hand. I don't have a computer and don't want one. I use a laser light mounted on the handles for pantos. I make my own pantos. But I really love to do it free hand. I watch videos on U-Tube for ideas and try them and add my own style. It's just enjoyable to express myself doing it free hand. I know it's my work and I'm very hands-on. I know there are frames out there that have 12 foot rollers and that sounds like what you need as 10 footers like mine wouldn't give you room to load the quilt.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 AM

Great post, and answers from so many members, I'm looking forward to seeing how you decide to go on this topic, I hope you keep us posted!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 AM

I am going to our LQS this morning to look at and try the Janome Horizon 7700. It has an opening of 11 in. by 4.7 in. for quilting. And the MSRP is 3000.00. At this time of my life (66 yrs. old) I don't want to sink 15,000 into a longarm machine. The Janome rep. is here today, so maybe I can get a lot of info.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 AM

I have a Juki 98 tle and a long arm quilting frame and I do my embroidery queen size quilts on mine..............I have not had any problem with the thread getting stuck.....The Juki cost 900.-- and the frame and all the assories cost around 1,500. I use a laser light and the paper patterns.........Hope this helped you...........
Originally Posted by Redhead
I do machine embroidery,and turn my finished pieces into quilts. The quilts I make are VERY large. The last one was the story of the night before Christmas, which measured 120" x 120". My problem is being able to quilt my quilts. They are too big to quilt them in the sewing machine. I've checked into having them professionally quilted, but was told the embroidery work would get into the way and would be too much trouble for them to do the quilting.. so I have to hand quilting them. Now here is my dilemma, should I invest in a long arm quilting machine? if so which one? Should I spend $ 15,00.00 on a fancy computer job or a basic model? Is hand guided with styus better than no lighted stylu? Every quilt shop I have called or visited has tried to sell me their top of the line models without giving me the answers to my problems. Any help and suggestions would be so very welcome and needed. :?:
:) :thumbup:
Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 AM

What I like about this machine you can take it off the frame and use it for your sewing machine, it is so fast...............
Originally Posted by nana4baj
I have a Juki 98 tle and a long arm quilting frame and I do my embroidery queen size quilts on mine..............I have not had any problem with the thread getting stuck.....The Juki cost 900.-- and the frame and all the assories cost around 1,500. I use a laser light and the paper patterns.........Hope this helped you...........
I do machine embroidery,and turn my finished pieces into quilts. The quilts I make are VERY large. The last one was the story of the night before Christmas, which measured 120" x 120". My problem is being able to quilt my quilts. They are too big to quilt them in the sewing machine. I've checked into having them professionally quilted, but was told the embroidery work would get into the way and would be too much trouble for them to do the quilting.. so I have to hand quilting them. Now here is my dilemma, should I invest in a long arm quilting machine? if so which one? Should I spend $ 15,00.00 on a fancy computer job or a basic model? Is hand guided with styus better than no lighted stylu? Every quilt shop I have called or visited has tried to sell me their top of the line models without giving me the answers to my problems. Any help and suggestions would be so very welcome and needed. :?:
:)
Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 AM

What I like about this machine you can take it off the frame and use it for your sewing machine, it is so fast...............
Originally Posted by nana4baj
:)