Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wheelchair quilt >

Wheelchair quilt

Wheelchair quilt

Old 07-25-2011, 05:35 AM

Nursing Homes are not places to take beautiful items. I had a friend in a nursing home for several years. Myself and my friends took her many beautiful things. Clothes, a quilt to fit her bed, lap robes, beautiful pajamas, and much more. We noticed they started disappearing. We even checked the laundry room with no luck. Then we started visiting other patients rooms. We found a few of the things, but the quilt was the ultimate. We had labeled it with our friends name and room number, Thank you Jesus, but the woman really got upset, actually ranting and raving at us for trying to steal her quilt. Obviously there was something wrong with her. We had to call staff to get her calmed down and retrieve the quilt. We finally determined that one day while our friend was at therapy, the lady who was aubuliatory went from room to room until she found what she wanted. Staff inspected her chest of drawers and closet and found many things that other patients has lost.

So beware of nursing homes and beautiful gifts. Just bring flowers or something pretty that is not a temptation to others.
Those people who do these things are not responsible.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:25 AM

As a nurse who worked in nursing homes, I will tell you that this happens alot. And it saddens the staff that work with those residents the most. Somehow it goes to laundry and never comes back.
One home used security cameras and watched as some staff took garbage bags out. Thinking that they were just taking out trash, they had stashed the bags full of various pieces of personal items from the residents. It is better if the home uses clear trash bags so that contents are not hidden from view.
What you did with your label is what I suggest, quilt it into the quilt so it cannot be removed easily. I also fuse them on before I quilt them. So sorry this happened. If you haven't already, go to the administrator and tell them the issue. (It doesn't hurt to show that you are upset--not screaming- to show that you are not just going to be ok with the standard response. Be persistant. Ask about it everytime you show up and make it known that this was taken from your sister's room. Believe me when I say that sometimes it takes mentioning it again and again.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:27 AM

My mother use to see to my aunt by marriage by visiting her every 2 weeks. It got to the point she would have to take her new clothes each visit as they always disappeared. Not only that, she finally started bathing & washing her hair as my aunt was scratching and complaining about being irritated. She was only 51, Altztimers, going blind and developing lung cancer, whose immediate family lacked caring but my mom did. Both were wonderful women. While my aunt's husband provided money, my mother gave her love and support in what became to my aunt, a fearful world.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 AM

My Dad was in an extended care facility for awhile, then we had to transfer him to a private facility for another few months. In both places we were asked to provide his expensive bed pads ($22 each!) which we duly labeled with his name. They disappeared and cheap, stained ones appeared. When he was in the private facility, his wheelchair had also disappeared by the time he went home!! After Mom finally raised quite a fuss they gave her another one, but it was smaller and not as well-made.

I think the best lesson would be: Do NOT provide anything that you won't mind losing
Old 07-25-2011, 07:05 AM

I worked in a Nursing Home so yes that does happen that things in up in differant rooms by accident or by other residents. Have the nursing home employees check their linen closets also because extra blankets and things are also stored in those. Also have them check other residents closets.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq
A true story: My beautician took her father-in-law, a nursing home resident, out for lunch. She noticed that he was having a difficult time chewing. Gave him a napkin and asked him to give her his denture. Low and behold, he had someone else's teeth!
They could have been my grandmothers, since she lost hers at a nursing home.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq
A true story: My beautician took her father-in-law, a nursing home resident, out for lunch. She noticed that he was having a difficult time chewing. Gave him a napkin and asked him to give her his denture. Low and behold, he had someone else's teeth!
They could have been my grandmothers, since she lost hers at a nursing home.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 AM

When my aunt was in an Alz unit, I made a point of showing and telling the staff anything I didn't want to disappear. I also told the head nurse and director. We managed to hold on to my aunt's mink stroller that way. I found it worked better than just the name on something. Of course her name was in her coat.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Will call the staff today to check the laundry and as some of you said, it could have walked off unintentionally. I don't blame the staff they are so busy getting some out of bed into wheelchairs to feed etc. She is not close by otherwise I would be doing her laundry too. Oh well I'm sure someone is enjoying it. My first experience with this kind of thing.
Thanks for all the comments.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Yeap have had that happen to me too! Before I got into quilts my Mom had a quilt made by the Amish in Ind with the right colors she loved, Double Wedding Ring. She ended up in a issited living place and a very nice one so I thought! She wanted me to take it home with me but she loved it, so she kept it and some one stole it too! Only thing she had her last name quilted in the border! So whoever got it will know who she stole it from!!!