Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wheelchair quilt >

Wheelchair quilt

Wheelchair quilt

Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm sorry for the loss of such a special quilt. My story won't help your loss, but I would like to tell you my experience.
A few years ago, my mother-in-law went to a nursing home. No telling how many quilts she had made during the years and the few she still had were kept for safe keeping by her son. She had a nice blanket and bedspread on her bed in the nursing home. The lady who shared her room had a nice quilt on her bed, so I decided to make her a quilt for Christmas. I had never made a quilt before so I chose a nine patch using black and yellow as my colors.
When my husband and I took the quilt to the nursing home, we didn't know if she would even know us. She had progressed to the stage where she was very confused. That day, and for a few more that week, she was clear as a bell! When she looked in the bag and saw the quilt she said, "Why, Jo, that is your first quilt. You should keep that." She loved the quilt and the colors.
As time went on, she would become "lost" and sometimes agitated, but when she saw the quilt she knew she was home. Once she was almost in tears because someone had stolen her quilt. My husband spoke to an aide and she left and returned with the quilt, still warm from the dryer.
My mother-in-law was in the hospital a few weeks before her death. At that point the quilt didn't really matter and we didn't think we would ever see it again, but when her daughter went to the nursing home to get her things, the aides brought her the quilt.
Those kind people had taken the quilt, washed and dried it, and put it in a safe place for her return! I now have that special quilt. Faded, but precious.

Unfortunately, we don't hear enough "good" stories from nurshing homes. I didn't have a good experience when my mother was in one, but my mother-in-law got wonderful care and since I have gripped plenty thrught the years, I need to give praise when it is so richly deserved.

Thank you for letting me share. Proud Mamaw
Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 AM

So glad things turned out for you hope I will have the same luck.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:57 AM

The same thing happened to the quilt I made for my Mama many years ago. In the future, I suggest for anyone giving gifts in Nursing Homes (how sad) to actually take a picture of the item with the patient and the quilt maker together. Then it may be necessary to actually buy insurance for the item..... Of course, it MAY help to have the receiver's name on the quilt top.....
~~~~~~~~~
Originally Posted by bbeyes
I made a wheelchair quilt for my sister for Christmas and took it to the home she is residing but didn't think about it much since the weather is warmer but yesterday I decided to look in her cupboard to see if it was put away and to my shock it has disappeared! Inquiries from staff didn't bring any results. Just really upset about this it took me months to put the squares together which I had already cut years ago in red white and green left over from other project done many years ago, days before rotary cutters. Can you you believe this. I labelled with her name and even sewed it into the quilting so when they did laundry it wouldn't come off. Just had to vent.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:24 AM

So sorry to hear this, but unfortunately it is a fact of life. A few years ago some young people, driving under the influence, drove into our front yard. I grabbed a quilt to cover the girl that was in shock. The quilt went in the ambulance. Of course I never saw the quilt again. Also found out that homeowner's insurance does not cover a loss of this nature as it is considered "humanitarian." Well at least that made me feel better about the loss of the quilt.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
So sorry to hear that. Maybe someone will feel guilty and bring it back. BrendaK

Don't count on it!! I used to do a red hat tea for the ladies in the home where my dad lived. At the very begining I bought all of the hats, decorations, helped residents to make their hats. I made on for the youngest who was an MS patient. It was a pill box hat that she could wear in her wheelchair. Had pink sequin fabric covering the hat form and pretty purple flowers. I even put it in a little hat box for her. She loved it so much she slept with it. Then they moved her to another wing and the hat never made it to her new room. Most of the other hats dissappeared too till nobody had one. So from then on I took tubs of hats and just let the ladies wear them for the tea. I had also broght porcelain teapots, cups and saucers so they could have the pleasure of drinking from a real cup rather than the plastic ones the home uses. The tea sets are still there but all the hats were never to be seen again.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. I so badly want to make a quilt for my mother in law in a nrsg. home in Maine but I have this same concern.

My mother was in an assisted liv. home in Calif. & we were moving her from one rm. to another & a floral wreath I had made for over her bed disappeared before we could make a second trip back to her rm. for more of her belongings. Of course, nobody knew what I was talking about. That is totally pathetic.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM

I took a quilt to my sister and asked the nursing home not to wash it. I had not put her name on it and wanted to take care of it myself. Well they did wash it and put her name on it in large letters directly on the quilt, using a permanent black marker. I almost cried. But I figured it was my fault for trusting that it would not be washed.

The first nursing home she was at did completely lose a quilt I had made for her a long time ago.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:28 AM

Sadly it continues to happen. After 10 years as a charge nurse on an alzheimer's unit I have spent many hours in search of missing belongings. Unfortunately some were never located. I would also check with the nursing supervisor. Some things manage to make their way into different units and on different floors even in corners of a lobby! Many times I found teeth buried in big potted plants... we had an avid gardener! I hope that the quilt turns up for you.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 AM

I am so sorry! My DFIL was in the
VA center here and I had made him an afghan. Everyone was wanting me to make one for them. lol!! We put it in his closet (in the top). When we went to get it down the next fall it was gone! Of course, no one knew anything about it. And then my aunt was in a NH just before shed died and alot of her clothes disappeared! It is so sad that these things happen.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:52 AM

Hope it shows up!