New Phone

Old 08-05-2011, 07:46 AM

As soon as we got our new phones ready to use, I called AT & T and had them block everything on both phones, exept the caller ID and voice mail. All we dod is make and receive calls on the phone. I have a computer with the internet at home and I have a GPS and do not play games on line or anything else on it. I get really irritated when it tells me I can't make a call only emergency ones. Not going to get a smart phone ever. I pay on family share plan 63.13 a month for the 2 phones. I use the most minutes for work.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 AM

I am over-due for a new Verizon phone - but since I don't use all those fancy things, I'll keep what I have. Besides, they always say it's FREE but I never walk out of the store without spending at least $100 for a new phone.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Can you not continue on the plan you are on without getting a new phone or are you forced into doing so every two years?
I have the same phone and plan on my son's family plan I have had for 5 years. Of course AT&T always wants me to upgrade to something newer, but this one has all the features I need and I see no need to increase my cost even on their family plan. I have the internet at home, don't need it on a phone, don't play games etc., just basic calls and texting. Unless you want some of the newer features, why not ask them if you can continue as is. Of course they all want you to up grade, sign a new contract etc., it means big dollars for them! Just my two cents worth!
themachinelady
Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 PM

If you haven't checked out Consumer Cellular you really should before you commit yourself to another 2 year plan. We paid Verizon thousands of dollars for cell phone service that we couldn't even use at home. I finally got up enough nerve to change companies (not plans) and we couldn't be happier. We have no contract to sign we can change the # of minutes we want to have for a month, the company keeps track and if for some reason you are getting close to going over your minutes they send you a notice and you can change the plan minutes in a second (no overcharges). I just received my Nokia C3 yesterday and now have access to the internet and an MP3 player, radio, camera that also does video.....etc. more stuff than I will probably ever use, but this company beats all those who get you hooked into a contract and their customer service cannot be beat! Just check them out FYI.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:28 PM

Well, I missed the window for unlimited data on Verizon when buying a smart phone. Now they are going to charge comparible to AT&T. with a price for certain databytes.

Can any of you give me an idea of how much data you use just checking your email and using a few apps?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:41 PM

I am on mine all the time, checking email, FB, the QB... and I am under the 2GB per month (I have unlimited, however my bill shows how much I use..)
Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM

I think to go over the 2GB limit you would have to be downloading movies, tv, etc., and more than once a month.

My husband and I have TracFones which are dumb phones and do everything we need. We prepaid for a year for $100 each and have yet to use up our minutes. I was going to upgrade to a Verizon smartphone but I found the audio quality was much worse than my TracFone.

Instead I got a Samsung 7" tablet, which Verizon offers on special all the time, and got a $20/mo. data plan - no phone service, so that's all it costs. My husband liked it so much we got him one too. It gives us email, texting (which we never do), internet, GPS which we wouldn't otherwise have, and all the Android apps. The $20 plan includes 1GB, and neither of us have come close to using that. It's a good option for us.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Jan in VA said:It seems to me that at our age - over 65, retired, family elsewhere - if you have a computer that you use nearly every day, don't play internet games, don't do lots of different online buying, don't follow the news or stock market constantly, don't send or receive urgent pictures or text messages, and love to spend you time quilting/cooking/gardening/traveling/attending guild meetings and bees................then why on earth pay for all the bells and whistles, whose sounds and interruptions just annoy you anyway, when you were just fine and dandy with life as it was even just 3-5 years ago?!!

Basic phone, basic plan, a decent laptop, a comfy chair, my sewing machine, and a healthy stash....that's all I need to make me happy as a June bug in May! Basic and proud of it, LOL!
I agree. We have a "go-phone" and use it only when we travel or leave the house for emergencies or information. Do not receive calls on it since we have the cable service phone with answering machine at home. Cost: $25 every three months for 100 minutes, rollover if renewed on time. We don't need to live with a phone in our ear all the time. :)
Old 08-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by RobertaMarie
Jan in VA said:It seems to me that at our age - over 65, retired, family elsewhere - if you have a computer that you use nearly every day, don't play internet games, don't do lots of different online buying, don't follow the news or stock market constantly, don't send or receive urgent pictures or text messages, and love to spend you time quilting/cooking/gardening/traveling/attending guild meetings and bees................then why on earth pay for all the bells and whistles, whose sounds and interruptions just annoy you anyway, when you were just fine and dandy with life as it was even just 3-5 years ago?!!

Basic phone, basic plan, a decent laptop, a comfy chair, my sewing machine, and a healthy stash....that's all I need to make me happy as a June bug in May! Basic and proud of it, LOL!
I agree. We have a "go-phone" and use it only when we travel or leave the house for emergencies or information. Do not receive calls on it since we have the cable service phone with answering machine at home. Cost: $25 every three months for 100 minutes, rollover if renewed on time. We don't need to live with a phone in our ear all the time. :)
I agree for the most part. We have no land line. Receive few calls, and I can find what I want on my PC. Even when traveling. I can pull into McD's and get free wifi.

I'm leaning toward getting the two phones for $30 a month with unlimited text (between us two, which is usally the only text we do)
Old 08-05-2011, 04:20 PM

I have a Pantech Ease and I love it. Not a smart phone but you can get data on it if you want. I'm with AT&T so I don't know how that will help you. Sorry.