Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My boy got skunked! (literally) >

My boy got skunked! (literally)

My boy got skunked! (literally)

Old 08-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Boy can I relate. Sadly, Tara is no longer with us, but she got skunked not once, but twice. The first time we tried everything, tomato juice, vaginal douche, you name it we tried it. Then stopped by a pet shop and found Skunk Off - one bath and the odor was eliminated. Poor thing, she hated her bath, and we gave her about 10 in a couple of days. Fast forward a few months, my husband is calling her in and he starts yelling "No Tara, no. Drop it Tara, drop it." Yes, she got another skunk, however, this time she came in the back door, made a beeline for the tub and jumped in. It was as if she was say, get this off me and quick. Fortunately, we hadn't used up all the Skunk Off and it worked really well. You'd think she would have learned the first time, but no, she had to try again. Sorry, I digress, but it was funny (except for the smell) to see her jump in the tub. Your puppy is so cute and I love the bag you made.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
Here is the ultimate in de-skunker..

quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, and a 10-drops of dish soap and 1/4 cup of baking soda.

Wash dog, use rubber gloves - because the skunk oil could end up on you.

Rinse well...

Also - if the dog got in the house and it smells - put a couple of bowls of cider vinegar out and around.. Somehow it absorbs the stink.

The big old boy in my avatar cannot resist skunks.
I totally agree with this receipe! I've had to use it numerous times.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Yes tomato juice works, but Massengill works much better. Two ounces in a gallon of water, pour over dog letting it soak in throughly, wait 15 minutes, rinse with plain water and then shampoo with his usual shampoo.

eta: The best is a mix-it-yourself concoction. In an empty milk jug, mix 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon liquid soap (pet shampoo will work). Wet dog with water and apply mix to his coat. It will bubble. Leave on for 3 to 4 minutes and then rinse throughly.
This is what the Humane Socitey recommends via Heloise. My DD's friend goes to dollor store & BUYS UP THE FLORAL DOUCHE in throw away bottles & says it works better than anything.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:30 AM

[
Sorry, I have a personal problem with the Massengil concept. I mean, really - whose girly part were so rank that someone made the connection to skunk? That is just nasty.[/quote]

Well you know there are some real skants out there. You just never know. You made me laugh. You are a hoot.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by traumaRN
My westie Tucker disappeared for a while last night. As DH and I walked through the back yards of our neighbors to look for him we could detect the "bouquet" of skunk in the air. Found him on a neighbors deck; apparently the skunk was under it. Boy does he stink!! Does tomato juice really take out the smell? Any other remedies for him? He's miserable.
Getting skunked is one thing my Yorkie, my Pom and my Scnauzer have not yet done--but they've gotten into every other stinky thing in the world. Baking soda solution works pretty well, but you have to rinse well. froggyintexas
Old 08-23-2011, 09:42 AM

I remember my grandmother telling me that my grandfather got sprayed by a pole cat (skunk) one time and they buried his clothes.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 AM

Poor puppy! Hope by now he's smelling all sweet and fresh again. He's adorable.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:45 PM

My DD dog can't resist skunks and she has learned the hard way that most of the products that say they counteract the smell- don't. Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Google Goddess

did you get your dog smelling nice again?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Oh,my! Poor guy!