Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs. Brother >

Janome vs. Brother

Janome vs. Brother

Old 09-12-2011, 05:20 AM

I love the Brother machines as I have 3 of them.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 AM

It sounds like the problem is the BOBBIN not the machine. Incorrect size bobbins will hop around so use the correct size for the Janome, I use only bobbins made for Janome's. A lady in our guild was using off the rack bobbins in her Janome and couldn't figure out why she was having so much trouble, gave her a Janome bobbin and it solved every problem. Don't blame the machine, blame the parts & pieces!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 AM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. The Brother "Isodore" is an embroidery/sewing machine. I do not do FMQ, and I thought I could use the embroidery function in quilting. Is that a possibility?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 AM

I have a janome 7700 and just love it. worth every penny. I was told by the dealer that you have to use bobbins that are made for that machine, I did buy some but I also use the ones I already have.never a problem.call your dearler or even janome for help.you can send me a message if you like maybe I can help.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 AM

I found out the hard way to use only what is made for the machine, bobbins, replacement parts, feet, etc. I ruined a Bro 1500 using prewound bobbins and have never used another prewound bobbin since. It would cost so much to fix it that I replaced the 1500 with a Bro 4000D which I did not purchase from the dealer wanting to fix my machine. Off the rack bobbins, feet or other parts are not the same quality as what is made for the machine in question. By the way I do have a Janome 2007 and I love it for easy use, cost, portability, quality sewing, nice dealer. Also I make sure the bobbin thread I use is for the machine I am embroidering on.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 AM

I have had 2 Janome machines and now have a Brother Quattro and I would have to say that the Brother has much more trouble free than the Janome and the dealer for the Brothers is an absolute jewel.
I love my Brothers.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 AM

I have the Laura Ashley Innovis 2000 and love it. I debated between several different machines and felt this was the best deal for the money and have been very happy with everything about it.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 AM

I have the Brother 4500D and the 600. I put in hours of shopping and trying out the different brands of machines. After doing the homework I found the brother machines to be the most user friendly ones on the market. I would not trade mine in for another brand for anything. Love them both.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 AM

have the Janome 6600 and it's a dream. bet ya got a lemon
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by eimay
Be sure you are using only Janome bobbins. Some bobbins on the market say they can be used in the Janome. They can't. Janome's bobbin works off a "floating magnet". The "universal" bobbins can be off just a smidge, but cause problems. Also if you do not have your thread firmly in the take up eye, you may have a problem. Also be sure your bobbin is in the correct direction (The thread should form the letter P before you put it in). Hope this helps.
I have a Janome 6600 and was experiencing the same thing with the bobbin rattling, sometimes causing a nice little birds nest to form on the back. Before freaking out, I decided to try using only Janome bobbins, and it worked like a charm. I clean the lint out regularly, definitely between each bobbin change. It's like liposuction, only easier.