Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs. Brother >

Janome vs. Brother

Janome vs. Brother

Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 PM

I think machines are all a matter of preference. I have a Brother Inovvis 80 and LOVE it. I choose Brother because I have many of their products and have had so few problems. I also have a singer 99 that I inherited and love that as well.

The one thing that I will say about the Brother is that taking the lessons that came with the purchase was extremely helpful because there are so many widgets on the machines.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by sherry mcd
I have not been happy with my Janome 7700--lots of annoying glitches, especially with the bobbin. Does anyone have the new Brother Laura Ashley Isadore? It looks and sews like a dream machine. Of course this is a trade in and up (more money). I am very tempted to do this trade. What can you all tell me about the Brother Isadore?
I can tell you I have the Brother Quilting machine, NX650, and I LOVE it. It is goof proof, ask me how I know? Very user friendly.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:02 PM

I really think your bobbins are too small. They should never bounce around.

I have two Janome's (the 6600 and the Platinum Gem and love them both)

The bobbins don't stay solidly in place like they should. They sort of bounce up and down. I do get the Error messages often. Then I remove the throat plate and clean the lint out. A real pain. I may have "new machine fever" because I also have "new car fever". Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:28 PM

I have the Janome 9500 and love it. never had a problem with it. about 7-10 years old. I call it old purple because the front has a purple streak across it.
I have not been happy with my Janome 7700--lots of annoying glitches, especially with the bobbin. Does anyone have the new Brother Laura Ashley Isadore? It looks and sews like a dream machine. Of course this is a trade in and up (more money). I am very tempted to do this trade. What can you all tell me about the Brother Isadore?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:55 PM

I don't have either of the machines you mention but I do have a Brother 1500 & a Janome 6600---I will take my Brother any day over the Janome----
Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I have a Janome 6500 and had some bobbin issues but all it needed was some tightening by the repair person and all is resolved. It looked like the tightening up amounted to the whole area bobbin being just slightly raised.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nabobw
The bobbins don't stay solidly in place like they should. They sort of bounce up and down. I do get the Error messages often. Then I remove the throat plate and clean the lint out. A real pain. I may have "new machine fever" because I also have "new car fever". Thanks.
Take it back to the dealer as this should not happen, I have a 7700 and do not have a problem with it. But if I did I know my dealer would fix it.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 PM

I just bought a Brother Laura Ashley and I am absolutely thrilled! It sews like a dream and has a million perks that I am still discovering! Lots of wonderful stitches...so many decorative wonders! And the Brother website has wonderful info and tutes too!! Definitely trade!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 PM

my son and family live in Olive Branch MS...small world..
Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 PM

I use a gene bobbin ring now...and since I have put it in my bobbin holder I have had no issues. I also found I was using the wrong bobbin...make sure you have the right one.