Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs. Brother >

Janome vs. Brother

Janome vs. Brother

Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 PM

This was also my problem....now that I have the right bobbin it works fine.
Originally Posted by MamaHen
It sounds like the problem is the BOBBIN not the machine. Incorrect size bobbins will hop around so use the correct size for the Janome, I use only bobbins made for Janome's. A lady in our guild was using off the rack bobbins in her Janome and couldn't figure out why she was having so much trouble, gave her a Janome bobbin and it solved every problem. Don't blame the machine, blame the parts & pieces!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:03 PM

my mil got a really nice brother for xmas and i decided i needed a new baby too as i didnt have a spare machine except a singer that turned out to be a lemon that i had bought intending to use as a spare. i also wanted a machine with a few more stitches i didnt buy the same brother as my mil but i got the machine of my dreams it sews sooo smooth and is relatively easy to operate which i was worried about seeing as how im not too good with techie stuff ive kicked myself at least a dozen times for not doing it sooner, i vote for the brother !!!
carla
Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 PM

I have a cheap brothers, and one of the first things I really took notice of was it insists on using the bobbins for that machine. I went thru some of my stuff, and you really could tell the difference in them. Just to see, without running the machine, I dropped one of my singer bobbins in, and it just rattled. Uh, no. I may not be very experienced at sewing,but I do know I am not ruining my machine for the price of a bobbin, lol.

I rounded up everything and sorted the old stuff into a gallon sized ziplock, just in case. SOmehow I can't bring myself to throw any of it out.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 AM

My Dad was a tool and die maker and very handy fixing things. He always told us "don't buy a car (or insert item) the first year out. All the bugs haven't been worked out yet." I always go back to that when I'm making a big purchase. But I do miss out on being the "first" with anything new!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by sherry mcd
I have not been happy with my Janome 7700--lots of annoying glitches, especially with the bobbin. Does anyone have the new Brother Laura Ashley Isadore? It looks and sews like a dream machine. Of course this is a trade in and up (more money). I am very tempted to do this trade. What can you all tell me about the Brother Isadore?
I'm really sorry you're having problems with your 7700. I've had mine for nearly a year and really love it - no problems at all! For FMQ, I use the special bobbin case and it's been fine. Make sure you always use Janome bobbins. Have you been back to your sewing machine shop with your problems?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by sherry mcd
I have not been happy with my Janome 7700--lots of annoying glitches, especially with the bobbin. Does anyone have the new Brother Laura Ashley Isadore? It looks and sews like a dream machine. Of course this is a trade in and up (more money). I am very tempted to do this trade. What can you all tell me about the Brother Isadore?
I'm really sorry you're having problems with your 7700. I've had mine for nearly a year and really love it - no problems at all! For FMQ, I use the special bobbin case and it's been fine. Have you been back to your sewing machine shop with your problems?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Also, make sure you use Janome bobbins.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by themary
I am not real happy with any of the Janome machines, however my daughter has two and really really likes them.
I have nearly always had Janome machines and just love them. Some years ago, I decided to have a change and bought a Brother, but regreted it almost immediately and traded it in. It's worth noting that pre-wound bobbins should never be used on a Janome!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 PM

I can not tell you about this machine... But ..i have had my Brother Emb machine for many years and I love it,,, to this day.never a problem.....15 years at least and only one.. go in for a check over a few yr ago....... and then my Cheapo.. Baby Brother.. love him silly..and my old brother serger love that thing also.. and i sew a lot....... Now,, i wish i could say the same for the High Dollar Husquavarna Emb machine.. had it 3 yrs now and can not say...I love that thing..
now my $10-15 Dollar..yard sale... old singers.. yes,, yes.. The new ones...no way..
yes.. I have 5 of them set up with diff color threads and i use them all at diff times... love having them ready to go.......
this past weekend my friend got me.... an old black...WHEELER.. machine in a cabinet..book,feet and all.. for.. 13.00.... I oiled up the cabinet.. threaded it up ,and that baby sews....
Singer Bought out the biggest sewing machine factories in the U.S.back in 1904 and in 1905 BANKRUPTED THE WHOLE THING.. I am proud of my old black baby.. she looks a lot like.. the featherweights... everyone is collecting...and soon i will have her cleaned up and oiled good but for now.. still trying to find a good name for her... she is so shiney and pretty.. i was thrilled.. to say the least..
Old 09-15-2011, 01:02 AM

I have the Laura Ashley Innovis 2000 for about 1 year now. I am so happy with it. People tell me I am crazy because I have a Bernina 440 QE that now sits in the closet. The Brother machine has all the specialty features I need for a fraction of the cost of a Bernina. So far the only problems I have had were operator initiated through my lack of reading the directions!