Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-11-2011, 03:47 PM

I wish I could do feathers, but for now I just meander around...
Old 09-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Ditto. I am a longarmer and i do some feathers if it's best for the quilt and alright with the piecer. most of my quilts have no feathers at all...
Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM

I thought the quilting pattern or design were chosen by the quilt maker? I would think the LA quilter would be just doing what was requested? Unless they are told to do whatever they want. Maybe they do what they are most comfortable doing? Be it feathers, swirls or stippling. I have a sunbonnet sue quilt that is all hand appliqued, I have been reluctant to get quilted because I know what I want done and am afraid it won't come out like I want it. So it sits as a UFO in a box...it was my DGD's Christmas gift from last year. Maybe I will get it done for her this year. Guess I better get movin' cause it's mid Sept already huh?? crafty_linda_b
Old 09-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by Sadiemae

If you paying a LAQ, this will be custom quilting and will be much more expensive. Thre are a lot of things to consider, it is not always just a simple decision.
that's interesting. i always thought that feathers was custom quilting. i thought simple edge to edge or loops was the least expensive to have done and the rest was all custom.

thanks for that information.
It can be custom depending on the quilt. If it is an overall design then it wouldn't be custom, so it just depends. I do all freehand(not with pantos), but there a lot of pantos that are overall feather patterns.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
I thought the quilting pattern or design were chosen by the quilt maker? I would think the LA quilter would be just doing what was requested? Unless they are told to do whatever they want. Maybe they do what they are most comfortable doing? Be it feathers, swirls or stippling. I have a sunbonnet sue quilt that is all hand appliqued, I have been reluctant to get quilted because I know what I want done and am afraid it won't come out like I want it. So it sits as a UFO in a box...it was my DGD's Christmas gift from last year. Maybe I will get it done for her this year. Guess I better get movin' cause it's mid Sept already huh?? crafty_linda_b
Talk to quilters that you know who have sent their quilts to LAQ that they are happy with. A good LAQ will do exactly what you want.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:23 PM

I think that there are always current trends that we might love and time passes and something else comes along new and we love it!! I used to look at my mom's quilts from the 70's and 80's and just didn't like the batting and colors and block patterns, ect. They are lovely, well done quilts, by the way! But, as time passes, I see the real beauty of them and realize they are the style of an era, and will be loved and remembered fondly. Is this maybe why all the current or constantly changing choices cause us to like or dislike them? Just thinking...I love feathers, but don't care for quilting that is so dense on a quilt to cuddle under!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by jillnjo
I think that there are always current trends that we might love and time passes and something else comes along new and we love it!! I used to look at my mom's quilts from the 70's and 80's and just didn't like the batting and colors and block patterns, ect. They are lovely, well done quilts, by the way! But, as time passes, I see the real beauty of them and realize they are the style of an era, and will be loved and remembered fondly. Is this maybe why all the current or constantly changing choices cause us to like or dislike them? Just thinking...I love feathers, but don't care for quilting that is so dense on a quilt to cuddle under!
Well put, Jillnjo, I agree wholeheartedly.:) I have some from the 80s that no longer appeal to me for just some of these reasons.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 PM

I tend to be very much a minimalist, feeling that the pieced pattern is intended to be the focus unless it is a whole cloth quilt or one with lots of 'open' space. That said I greatly admire quilting either by hand or machine that enhances the design and increases the beauty of the quilt. Just don't overdo it!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:53 PM

I agree with you!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:55 PM

I very much agree that many quilts are way over quilted,I am a hand quilter only and like the soft fluffy look.