Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Ditto!

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
me too....they have their place, but not too many and not on ALL quilts..and I hate/dispise MICRO quilting....I like to see some space/fabric showing..not just stitching everywhere...
Old 09-11-2011, 03:10 PM

What one loves, another might not - to each his own.
I like the feathers, but also like many other quilt patterns.
I tend to prefer the not-so-densely quilted quilts - seem softer to the touch and to my eyes.
As long as the quilting is no farther apart than the width of my fist, I'm satisfied it will hold up to washing, and isn't that really the original intent of quilting the piece - to prevent batting from bunching in laundering.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by butterflywing
i like feathers a lot. and i agree that i would like to see more open areas of piecework and not see the quilting overwhelm the piecing. but here's another thing: i would like to see another kind of design. it seems that i see the same designs all the time. bubbles, bananas, vines, cables, meanders, feathers, curls, etc.

when i check out the leah day website, i see hundreds of other interesting patterns for quilting, but i hardly ever see them being used on an actual quilt. feathers will always be the favorite if feathers is all anyone sees.

I cannot even imagine the time that would be involved in using Leah Day's patterns on a bedsize quilt. And it would be very densely quilted.
i didn't mean as an all-over design. i meant as a filler and in only some places. and looser than her tiny work. almost everything she shows can be enlarged and used as fillers.

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...c-circles.html

this isn't the best example, but it gives a general idea of the possibilities. it's neither a bubble, nor a feather, nor a curl, but it's a nice filler and interesting in it's uniqueness.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:19 PM

There is room for all of us in using design and quilting. Seems like we have this thread every few months or so. Each quilter needs to do his own thing. :):)
Old 09-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
not me- i never do feathers!
i have noticed some people do them on every quilt-- but not everyone does- i am one long-armer that does not do feathers- i'm fairly sure i'm not the only one.
I feel better now! I haven't learned to do feathers and felt like I had to learn how to do them. I also don't like really dense quilting unless the project calls for it. Glad I'm not the only one to think this way!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:29 PM

Then you could ask the question--"Is stippling overdone?" and you could ask "Is SID overdone?" and you could answer "YES" to both. So to answer your answer your qustion--"Whatever floats your boat! Do what makes you happy!"
Well said! and Im not going to say much more about it... other than I love feathers and I think most LA'rs especially here, do a beautiful job of quilting them and Ive never seen one "over" done. Dont forget not all densely quilted quilts are "hard", the batting plays a big role there.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

i like feathers a lot. and i agree that i would like to see more open areas of piecework and not see the quilting overwhelm the piecing. but here's another thing: i would like to see another kind of design. it seems that i see the same designs all the time. bubbles, bananas, vines, cables, meanders, feathers, curls, etc.

when i check out the leah day website, i see hundreds of other interesting patterns for quilting, but i hardly ever see them being used on an actual quilt. feathers will always be the favorite if feathers is all anyone sees.

I cannot even imagine the time that would be involved in using Leah Day's patterns on a bedsize quilt. And it would be very densely quilted.
i didn't mean as an all-over design. i meant as a filler and in only some places. and looser than her tiny work. almost everything she shows can be enlarged and used as fillers.

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...c-circles.html

this isn't the best example, but it gives a general idea of the possibilities. it's neither a bubble, nor a feather, nor a curl, but it's a nice filler and interesting in it's uniqueness.
If you paying a LAQ, this will be custom quilting and will be much more expensive. Thre are a lot of things to consider, it is not always just a simple decision.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I love feathers but I think overal long arm quilting is over done. I like functional and soft quilts and some of these gorgeous quilts look beautiful but not inviting. Also I often feel the piecing has fallen away and the attention is on the quilting. If this is the intent and people want this that is great. If you do not and you bring your quilt away to be quilted besure to talk to the person quilting before hiring them.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Feathers are appropriate in certain areas of a quilt, but over doing takes away from all the piecing or applique.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:46 PM

If you paying a LAQ, this will be custom quilting and will be much more expensive. Thre are a lot of things to consider, it is not always just a simple decision.
that's interesting. i always thought that feathers was custom quilting. i thought simple edge to edge or loops was the least expensive to have done and the rest was all custom.

thanks for that information.