Donating to Charities

Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 AM

I have given money thru the mail and have decided that I'm only going to donate to things in my own town. When I get tons of address labels, sweatshirts and other things I wonder how much money the charity really gets.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:51 AM

We mostly donate to projects done thru our church. We know 100% goes to the project because all the staff are volunteers and our name is never made public to anyone.

I, too, have a lifetime supply of labels. I have sent written requests to 2 places I donated to in the past (they send cards which I like and used) and have not heard back in the last few months. The rest end up in the recycle bin!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 AM

You could send an USPS money order with PBS name and address on both sides. Also write their address as return & destination location on the envelope. You can still keep receipt if needed for taxes.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq
I made a larger than usual donation to our local PBS station and they badly misspelled my name on the receipt. I can't tell you how many other solicitations I got with the same error. No mistaking who the name seller was!
The man I bought my last house from made his living from buying and selling mailing lists and told me that when you give money or actually buy something from a catalog you get put in a different catagory and your name and address will sell for more money. With all the junk mail they produce I have to wonder why the post office is in dire straits.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I even have an answering machine that says" if your a bill collector hang up. If I had money you wouldn't be calling me. If your asking for money then you don't know me well enough and if you're selling something I have no money to buy." I have never had anyone leave a message other than friends and hte same # rarely calls back.
LOL-Love this!!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:07 AM

The one that works best for me is just lay the phone down - when you hear the long ringing tone, you know they hung up and you did not waste your time listening, arguing or explaining a thing....... they don't usually call back
Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 AM

Yes, they do sell your name for mailing. I cannot tell you how many mailings we get, because we reg. give to World Vision and Smile Train. By the way, 94% of your donations go where it is suppose to go for these two charities. I researched it on the comp. We were getting 5-6 mailings, PER DAY!!!!!! No lie! WE had enough carrot seeds to start a farm and all the pennies and nickels. Here is how I stooped all of it. What ever they sent me, I put it all into the postage paid envelope they send you and returned it to them!! Also told them to give the carrot seeds to the countrys that needed them. Believe me, it didn't take long and we no longer receive all the donate letters.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:47 AM

[quote=Quiltbeagle]
Originally Posted by scraphq
With all the junk mail they produce I have to wonder why the post office is in dire straits.
The post office is in dire straits because many, many people don't mail things anymore. I pay all our bills online and receive most of my bills by email. A book of stamps lasts me several months because I mail things so seldom. With so much less mail going out you wonder why charities keep sending return address labels to people. I now throw them out as we have enough for a lifetime.
Junk mail gets special, cheaper rates for the senders so wonder just how much profit the post office makes from that.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Unfortunately if you gave your telephone # when donating even if you add yourself to the do not call list any company that is an affiliate of the company you donated to or do business with can still legally call you. Trust me I researched this. I finally started telling people I make no donations via phone solicitations. If a request is sent in writing I will consider if otherwise please remove me immediately from your calling list. They cannot sell your info with the next data list. I can tell you from experience that it takes years. Try caller ID and just don't answer.

I even have an answering machine that says" if your a bill collector hang up. If I had money you wouldn't be calling me. If your asking for money then you don't know me well enough and if you're selling something I have no money to buy." I have never had anyone leave a message other than friends and hte same # rarely calls back.
One of my Aunt's message machine says-Notice to bill collectors and solicitors I am retired and on SS and medi-care if you must leave a message I'll add you to my list of who recieves the dust bunnies in my piggy bank-Ya all have a nice day now.My other Aunt's MM says If you want money or are selling something you've dialed the wrong number
Old 09-24-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by jad1044
The one that works best for me is just lay the phone down - when you hear the long ringing tone, you know they hung up and you did not waste your time listening, arguing or explaining a thing....... they don't usually call back
I feel no obligation to be polite to these people. I simply interrupt them, say I'm not interested and Hang Up.