Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I am a "newbie" & I need your help >

I am a "newbie" & I need your help

I am a "newbie" & I need your help

Old 09-28-2011, 04:42 AM

Welcome Becky! I agree with Amyjo, you will be amazed at how quilting can be economized. Thrift stores, relatives, neighbors, rummage sales are all sources for supplies and inspiration. Tell everyone you know about your hobby and you will inevitably make friends and "inherit" supplies!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 AM

Hello and welcome from Ontario, Canada.
YOu need a rotary cutter, mat, ruler, pattern, seam ripper
( very useful ) the ususal sewing stuff. Someone at a sewing centre should be able to set you up. Once your family & friends know that you are quilting you may inherit some things that you need. :-)
Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 AM

Welcome from NW Ohio.

I love watching the tutorials, here is one.

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/beg...ing-tutorials/

I know there are many more maybe someone on the QB can give you other ones to check out.
Hang in there & happy sewing :thumbup:
Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 AM

There is a lot of free information here on the internet. Look at tutorials here on this board, go to your public library for books. I think a rotary cutter, mat and a couple of rulers are must haves. Learn to sew a 1/4 inch seam and cut striaght. That can be practiced on scrap fabric. Enjoy, it is so much fun and so addictive.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 AM

Looks like you have gotten a lot of good suggestions. Letting your friends know your desire to start quilting may yeild a lot of advice/information - and maybe a machine... I told people about my daughter's wish to sew, and she was gifted with an older kenmore. Straight stitch only, yes, but a good solid machine, that will help her quilt AND be powerful enough to hem those jeans!

I started the quilting process with scissors, a template and scraps from my children's clothing. Have patience and keep at it. (Recently I found Bonnie Hunter's website - quiltville - and have started using some of my husband's shirts for quilts... No, not the good ones!! :lol: He wears through the elbows on his.)
Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 AM

YouTube is loaded with tutorials on everything about quilting! And this blog is also great for help. I find free patterns online also instead of buying books when I don't like all the patterns in them. Plus I like to change the styles of quilts I do. But remember, MY quilts never look like the pattern I started with. And that's OK because they are all original Sunnye's!
Buy fabrics online or at a store ON SALE if at all possible. I buy Christmas fabric in January, for example, to get a good price.
The others have told you about mats, rotary cutter, etc. I started with a Brother machine and now have a Baby Lock but the Brother was fine.
Welcome from KY and good luck. (Don't let the pictures from these wonderful quilters discourage you. Mine don't look as good as theirs but I still like the process of it all.)
Old 09-28-2011, 06:12 AM

Any sewing machine that an sew a straight stitch will do. A nice older machine can be had for less than the cheapies at XXXMart and will last longer, too. Look around at Garage sales for a nice old metal Singer, Kenmore, White, etc. My rule of thumb on sewing machines: stay away from white plastic.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 AM

Dont let distance keep you from quilting, you can find some really good online resources for supplies. I like connecting threads. Also if you have a library available borrow books as much as you can to get an idea of the types of projects you like. I am self taught 3 years now and still learning, but it is fun and I take a relaxed approach. Tutes and links on this board have helped a lot. Check out u tube for missouri star quilt tutes. I do mostly quilt as you go since smaller pieces are managable for me. Good luck on your journey!:)
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from WI.