Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fleece makes great backing...REALLY? >

fleece makes great backing...REALLY?

fleece makes great backing...REALLY?

Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 AM

Joann's have their blizzard fleece prints on sale for 3.99 yard, reg 10.99 a yard. With a $5 coupon that means one and a quarter yards are free. And yes it is good $5 off, even sale items!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by sushi
While I've not used it as backing, I've used fleece as batting a couple of times when I've needed to produce an ultra-warm quilt. It's worked beautifully.

While some think fleece is too expensive to use as batting, remember that because it's encased between the top and the backing, you can use the cheapest stuff available. (I have a "Mill End Textiles" near me where I bought a remnant at ~$3/yd.)
I've used it for a long time--without batting, it makes a nice weight for couch throws or baby blankets. Mothers like the blankets because they don't move around on carpet when the baby begins to crawl, etc. I like to use the backing as self-binding--just pulling it to the front and stitching down with a decorative stitch. When using without batting, I try to use heavier weight. I often find really nice, heavy weight at Walmarts for 3-4 dollars a yard--It is not consistent so have to look for the heavier if that is what you want. The light stuff would be good as batting.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 AM

I've used it on baby quilts. Sometimes I use a layer of flannel for the batting and the fleece for the backing. It quilts very nicely and is warm and cozy.

Pat
Old 10-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Has anyone ever hand quilted fleece? also I would like to know if any one has ever used in making a rag quilt, I know it won't ravel like flannel does but if there is flannel on the front what will the fleece do. I am thinking it might turn under but don't know what the entire outcome will look like. Has any one done this?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM

I agree with ckcowl. It works just great for long arm or free motion quilting. You just have to make sure you turn the stretchy way of the fleece the opposite way you are pulling or spray baste it down, etc. I have now made over a hundred and prefer it without batting. But, I have customers who insist they want it. All a matter of preference.

You could hand quilt it but it would make large stitches. Works better to tie or machine quilt.

Kids, older people and those taking a nap...just love quilts made this way. Makes the easiest and fastest baby quilt ever.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 AM

I've used fleece (w/o batting) for quilt backing quite a few times and it FMQ's beautifully! It doesn't bunch up or stretch while quilting.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 AM

i used it as backing & folded the ends over & bound it that way... wanted it to be warm for a friend's sil while she was going thru chemo..

it was warm & washed up great
Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 AM

I just did an almost full-size D9P variation and was going to back it with some fleece that had a pattern so I could keep an eye on any possible stretching.

Despite a good basting, careful SID quilting, etc., by the time I got to the last two rows, the pattern was still lining up (front to back), but the fleece itself had stretched badly (and not from lack of watching to prevent just that).

It killed the quilt and while I may try it for a baby quilt, I definitely will not ever do this again. Besides, it was inordinately heavy. Very warm, but quite heavy.

I had also had it on a full size table during quilting, so none of it had hung down to stretch it out. I'm actually not sure what happened except that it just gave way to its inherent stretch.

Live and learn life's lessons in humility.

P.S. The cat and the dog both love the fleece side, stretch notwithstanding.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 PM

I had a little trouble with it when I started...it was so hard to move around. So I started playing with my machine settings and discovered that I need to select the stretch fabric selection and use a needle for stretch fabric. Now i have no problems.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:50 PM

I have made lots for children including my three grand-daughters - we call them 'cuddle quilts', and they love to snuggle up in them, especially if they are not well. Made one for a Friends 4 yr. old grand-daughter and she wanted to take it to America with her on holiday! She was persuaded not to, in 'case it got lost'! - We live in England...