Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to Call it Quits (or How Batik HSTs Kicked My Butt) >

When to Call it Quits (or How Batik HSTs Kicked My Butt)

When to Call it Quits (or How Batik HSTs Kicked My Butt)

Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by sewmorethings
Too funny, not laughing at your pain just the idea of swat, rip, stitch and drinking the threads...look at the bright side at least the tea didn't have all the gnats that you swatted in it........ewwwwwwwww
Your story hit right at home. thanks for sharing. but, yea, you only got fiber, and not the gnats! :shock:
Old 10-20-2011, 11:07 AM

When adjusting the tension, keep a scrap piece of fabric to test the tension, until you are satisfied it is fine. This will save you lots of ripping...and stress.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:07 AM

When adjusting the tension, keep a scrap piece of fabric to test the tension, until you are satisfied it is fine. This will save you lots of ripping...and stress.

Sorry double post.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM

Hope your quilt turns out nicely, as it sounds very pretty. Jackie gave some good advice. I just finished doing a Carpenter Star center for a quilt, and did it in rows. As I was finishing up I wondered why I had not just sewn them into quarters and then sewed them together. Would have ended up the same, but somehow maybe not as confusing keeping the rows correct. Today at our guild meeting Pat Knoechel (from Quilt in a Day) showed how they did the Radiant Star and she did it in quarters then put them into a half, then the two halves together. Makes sense to me!!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
I want it to really look good--you know, well done, sharp points. He would never notice but Charisma might.
:lol: I have never quilted a quilt that was perfectly pieced all over. I'll bet Charisma hasn't either! Yes, as we quilt quilts, we do see every seam that doesn't quite match up (our nose is practically on the fabric), but those minute (ok, mine are not always minute) irregularities are the proof and charm of a quilt made with love. They add to the beauty of a quilt like yours, a beautiful, warm hug made with love in every stitch (and the ones you swallow count double!). I suppose there are perfectly pieced quilts out there, with no off-by-a-thread matched seams, but I have never seen one. However, when quilted and seen as a whole, no one will notice a slightly off seam match. If they do, then their horse is galloping too slow!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 PM

Yep , had that kind of day today.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 PM

lol. That's one way to get your daily fiber. hehehe.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 PM

hst - 1, quilter - 0. :lol:
Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 PM

Too funny!! I needed that!! Thanks I think a book could be written about the day and life of a quilter, who ever thought thread could cause such a ruckus in all our lives, glad I never think about the money i rip away! lol Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 AM

So sorry you had such a rough day! I have many days like that so I REALLY appreciate days that go smooth. Hopefully you have kicked this thing into submission & all will go great. Ohhhh.....Do not put your threads into you glass. LOL Bet that was gross.

Jackie I do mine that way also & it sure saves me a lot of grief and aggravation. Thanks for mentioning that.