Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Feel sooo bad... >

I Feel sooo bad...

I Feel sooo bad...

Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 AM

Lucky kids they have so many people that love them, thats the best gift
Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 AM

Good for you! You conquered your jealous and /or judgemental thoughts.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 AM

Jealousy is human nature. I think we've all been there to one degree or another. You recognized it in yourself and handled it well.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:39 AM

I think you received a gift as well as your grandchildren. Life lessons sometimes come when we least expect them. Your new perspective is a gift.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 AM

What a nice apology!
When I found my daughter was expecting our first grandchild I got to sewing...ended up making one large flannel floor quilt, just a quckie yellow brick road and one redwork quilt with the alphabet...more of an heirloom type quilt. I couldn't decide which to give at the baby shower and which to give for xmas, I chose the quickie floor quilt as the shower gift.
At the shower the great grandmother on the husbands side gave the gift of a beautiful blue and white sailboat quilt.
It was her first quilt ever (she was 83) She missed every point on that quilt and the binding was less than perfect......the "ahhhhh" in the crowd when DD opened it was just wonderful. The woman beamed. I got choked up, it was a lovely moment and I'm so glad that my heirloom quilt did not temper that ahhhh moment.
Doubt the great grandmother will ever make another one....it was her time to shine.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 AM

You handled that situation very well. Have been there done that myself.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 AM

Oh my word, I think you are a wonderful person. We all feel some jelousy, but you had enough class to keep it to yourself. You have learned a great lesson and probably will win a great friend in your daughter's new mother in law. Maybe she can even become a quilting friend.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny View Post
My two grandkids received I spy quilts from their future grandma - when I first saw them I immediately checked out the sewing. There were a few puckers in the backing and the binding wasnt quite right. Geez I cant believe I was being so critical!!!!

My grandkids were so happy and as I watched them play I Spy on the quilt - I realized it didnt matter to them and that I shouldnt have been so critical - However in my defense I didnt express any of the negative thoughts out loud!!!

I think I was just jealous of the fact that the "other" grandma beat me to the punch. I have been under the weather for awhile now and havent done any sewing. I wanted to be the one to give the grandkids a similiar quilt!!!!

This is my apology...I feel so bad that I was so judgmental on your quilting techniques. I realize now that I am just thrilled that you would take my daughter and grandkids under your wing and let them feel your acceptance and love. I just want you to know how grateful I am to know that if I am not around that they will have grandparents that will give them unconditional love.

My promise to to you is to try to be a better person and not be so critical. I now see the quilts in a whole different light - the kids have opened my eyes!!! Thanks goodness.

I still feel bad even if you and anyone else werent aware of my critical thoughts - I am ashamed of my behavior-Who am I to evaluate the quilt techniques - like mine are so perfect lol I was a jealous person and I will do my very best to keep my thoughts at bay.

Thanks for letting me vent - I sure hope you all will "call" me on that type of behavior in the future. You have actually given me the inspiration to start sewing again - I now realize that I dont have to so precise - its the thought that really counts - THANKS!!!!
Quit beating up on yourself. You handled this beautifully and let me assure you that 98 percent of the people on this board would have felt the same way even if they wouldn't admit it. froggyintexas
Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 AM

I sure wouldn't "call you" on your feelings since I'm in the same boat. I have a fairly new daughter in law who's mother is in the far eastern side of Canada has made our little g-son a cpl. of quilts. I felt the same jealousy since I've not had any competition from other MILs. I also ck'd out her work which doesn't measure up to mine but I had a little chat with myself & am glad DDIL has a wonderful mom. I get to share my DIL with her since she lives fairly close to me. DIL even bought herself a sew. mach. for Christmas so I'm looking fwd. to sewing with her. No she's never sewed a stitch so it's fun to see her interested.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 AM

You did a wonderful job handling the fustration you felt. How about scheduling a quilting day with the other Gradma. As well as planning to teach the Grandkids about quilting when they are older. Enjoy the process and stop beating yourself up! Don't sweat the small stuff, because it is All Small Stuff! Luann