Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS >

Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS

Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS

Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 PM

Thank you for sharing this article. I found it to be very interesting.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 AM

Great article - I had no idea that this was going on in the industry. To be very honest, I only but notions, batting and interfacing from Jo-Ann's because I MUCH prefer the quality fabric I get at my LQS.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 AM

Very interesting. I shop for fabric where there is fabric.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
The economy has forced me to use what I have. I used to pop into Walmart and buy things on impulse becuase I was there. Now that I have gotten out of that habit I save a lot of money buying junk. The few Walmarts that now have fabric are impossible to find someone to cut the fabric. And when I go to the LQS to buy something they are very cold to me now that I don't spend as much money there. I will say that the Joann's I go to has really cleaned up their act. I am greeted by each employee as I pass them in the store. I am waited on MUCH quicker at the cutting table and when I check out. Its a pleasant experience to go to Joann's.

I'm wondering what would happen if you cut your own fabric then took it to the check-out counter? After looking for several minutes to find the price and amount of yardage, they'd have to call someone from the fabric area. Sort of a cool way to bring attention to the fabric department's lack of service. Might end up in a shop-lifting charge, tho. Thought is good for a giggle, tho!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:19 AM

I love the LQSes that I frequent for the staff who are extremely helpful and welcoming. BUT! I do think it is basic customer service to be open when customers can get there - weekends (including Sundays), evenings, holidays, school vacations. Many LQS seem to be open at the staff's convenience instead.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm sure a lot of it depends on where you live. Our local Wal- Mart has not added back fabric and the local Joann's is really junky. That makes the LQS a lot more desirable but it might not be the case everywhere.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 AM

I find better service at JoAnn's. I have found that the local quilt shops tend to ignore me because I am not a regular and they do not know me.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 AM

I purchase fabric for quilting mostly online. I have a JoAnn's that has some nice stuff but a great deal of their fabrics are seconds. The Wal-Mart here is impossible as finding someone to cut fabric and their quality is questionable. My LQS is not my favorite place. Sometimes they are nice and sometimes just rude. I guess I will just stick to online buying when it comes to fabric and purchase brands I know and trust. I will still go into JoAnn's for batting and notions.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 AM

I am fortunate to have 4 quilt stores near me. I especially like the two gals who opened a new one in our town. They are friendly, know everyone by name and so helpful. If you are ever in the Folsom CA area stop by Sew Fun. I also enjoy the warm friendly folks at Thistle Dew in Fair Oaks, CA formerly known as Tayos. Shared Stitches in Cameron Park is also a treat to visit. We have a newly opened JoAnn's. I go there for blades and such, but my fabric is from these wonderful folks mentioned above.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM

Very interesting little market review. thanks for posting!

It seems logical to me that if Walmart and Joanns offer improved selection of the $9.99-$12.99 'designer' fabrics and batiks, then it will certainly impact the LQS, which has been suffering along with the big-box stores during the recession.

I am surprised to here from these posts that LQS haven't all got the service thing perfected, just from pride of ownership if nothing else.

It would seem the LQS needs to differentiate itself to the customer by really fabulous service - cut those fat quarters! special order some fabric I need! offer affordable classes! send emails with offers! let me shop the stock on-line! anticipate the trends and bring them to me before the on-line retailers do! Possibly the LQS will need multiple revenue streams, like machine sales and/or repair or internet sales. But the LQS will never be the be-all and end-all, and I'm certainly not going to buy a yard of fabric which isn't quite what I want, or pay 20% more for batting, or pick through a lousy thread selection, just to boost my LQS bottom line. Hey there, what about MY bottom line?