Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do with this top? >

What would you do with this top?

What would you do with this top?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 AM

As a handquilter I can just see lots of lovely quilting with varigated thread in all of the plain areas. If you don't want it and can't bear to take it apart send it to me.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 AM

I think I would cut off some of the Yellow(gold)border to 1 each and add a flower border. I do like all the star colors.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by wendsy View Post
I'm one who would take out seams, remove boarders then separate the stripes and see if you cam rework it.I am very familiar with a seam ripper-fabric costs too much! I once removed the stitching from a lap throw I had sewn years ago-completely finished but as my sewing has improved the worse it got to looking so I spent 3 hors removing the stitches only the find I had not cut the pieces and I ended with about 3 yards of uncut material to work with. So I'd say if you can see anything redeemable to you in your quilt top, really think a bout tearing it down or re-cut and material to your liking in. After all it's your quilt you can do anything you want with it.
Me too! There is too much work to just toss it and the stars are pretty. I couldn't live with the mustard yellow today. I did that back in the 70's
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 AM

Would you consider cutting the yellow strips down the middle, reducing the size, making a strip of smaller stars to go between the large star rows? Cutting the mustard border down to about 2 inches? No ripping, because you will only stretch the fabric and spend way t much time on a not so pleasing quilt.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:17 AM

Since we can't see the whole quilt, I can't be sure, but I think I would get out the seam ripper and remove all the mustard color in the quilt, and take it from there. It looks like it could be a very pretty quilt without the mustard color. It would be a shame to give up on it, because so much work has gone into it, and it can be a lovely quilt.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:18 AM

Me , I would take the strips of stars and put them together with something else.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 AM

All hail the lowly seamripper. What a Tool!!!
If I had a item that I no longer liked, I would rework it. Why not remove the dark gold and replace it with something more modern? A new border that enhances all of those beautiful stars would be very attractive. Turn on the tv and unpick carefully. Start fresh another day.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Get rid of the mustard color, either eliminate the light stripes, or applique over them, save the blocks.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM

Thanking everyone for their suggestions!
I'm thinking I will remove the gold, it is the most offensive color I think! And maybe make the yellow strips narrower. Also most likely will add light blue or a rose color where possible to finish it up. I feel like stars for quilting will be the best. And yes it does bring back the 70's, butdefinitely doesn't fit in with my decor these days!

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Off goes the gold!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I would finish it up and keep as a quilt from the past. In 10 or 20 years you won't like todays colors either. Just like clothes styles and hairstyles. Just the way it is.