Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas >

Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 AM

I use the Frontline for fleas & heartworms he told me to use something like baby shampoo for bathing. He said regular shampoo/Dawn will kill the Frontline. And I use it every month and she's an inside dog and sleeps in my bed and I've never seen a flea on her. When I first got her (rescued) she was covered in fleas and sore spots caused from scratching. Has almost no hair on her belly so I can really see if a pest was there.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 AM

add brewers yeas to their food--it will build up in their bodies and make their blood distasteful to the fleas
Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Be very careful when using chemicals to kill fleas. You can not only kill the fleas, but your dog or cat also. Hartz products sold at Wal-Mart and Sam's club very nearly killed my sister's Jack Russell last spring. He ended up in the ER with an IV. I use Frontline on my 2 dogs and cats and so far it has worked really well. Fleas season seemed to start a lot earlier this year.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM

danna is right. Hartz is killing dogs and the company doesn't seem to do anything about it. Lily's Frontline Plus is a topical - I wasn't aware they made an oral med. Advantage has ivermection in it and collie type dogs can't have it without a blood test to see if they carry a certain gene. So much to think about, but once you see a flea, you need the big guns. Google Cedarcide - it kills fleas in the house and yard, but I never sprayed the dogs because I wasn't positive it was as non toxic as the company says it is.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

the salt worked for me. Put it down. Wait a few days, vacuum and repeat. I even used it on the sofa. But as previously stated that is only one of the necessary things to be done
Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

Years ago the dogs I had then got fleas, Frontline on the dogs got rid of all the fleas. We never had a lot of fleas but within 24 hours all fleas were dead. Didn't have to spray anything.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
We have been fighting fleas on our little Maltese which he got while we were in Texas. We did so many things!
He had a pill from the vet that kills fleas within ten minutes. Then we put on a monthly type repellant, plus several baths. But we must have still had the eggs because he still had fleas. So we bought a flea shampoo. Got home still had fleas, then took him to the groomer and my husband bought Sentry Home and Carpet spray from Walmart which he just sprayed on carpet. Finally we think they are gone but we are still paranoid about it! Anyway, the thing was I didn't want to do the "bomb" thing and I think we won! (Plus all kinds of wahing his bedding, etc. and him) What a nightmare!
i have a maltese and I use "Frontline" recommended by the vet. He weighs only 3 lbs. and is too small for the pill thing according to the vet. I put this on him every month. It is expensive, but well worth the money. None of the "over-the-counter" meds worked. Mary
P.S. Frontline also controls the ticks.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:28 PM

We keep our little girl on flea and tick topical (Advantix) year around or we have a scratching/biting/chewing hair off problem constantly. We had her on Frontline Plus until this year and it seemed not to be doing the job of keeping ticks off her. DH found 2 ticks buried in her skin the first of March and decided to change to Advantix.
So far, it seems to be doing the job.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:47 PM

Years ago my in-laws brought their dog & FLEAS to visit us & our dogs. We were in the process of selling our house which wasn't fun after it was BOMBARDED with fleas. We bombed it with stuff from the store, sprayed amonia, vinegar... you name it. Finally we had Orkin come & while they treated tehe house, we took the dogs to the vet for a flea dip. FINALLY!

This year my Leo has had a few fleas (even tho we use Frontline faithfully every month). What we're REALLY fighting (already!!!) are ticks. I get at least a couple off him every day & just know my baby boy is going to get Lyme disease from them. Is anybody else having tick problems? Lots of them? So soon?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:28 AM

Hi, years ago my 2 cats were infested with fleas and passed them on to the dog. We washed the cats with insecticidal wash(not normally recommended), combed and searched for every flea but still no luck wiping them out. So we used the "flea bombs" in the house -- these are NOT an insecticide -- they spray a growth hormone which stops flea larvae from growing into adult fleas and so stop the reproductive cycle. This was a great success -- we repeated it once a year while the cats were still alive and had no more problems.