Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ-For what it' worth. >

FMQ-For what it' worth.

FMQ-For what it' worth.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the encouraging remarks on FMQ. I am going to try it. Being on a fixed income does not allow me to run to the long arm quilter. If I am not happy with the results...I guess that I do not have to show anyone. Right????
Old 03-23-2013, 10:59 AM

That is positively true! Had I practiced, I'd have lost my nerve; but I did my first meandering with my knees knocking so loud the neighbors could hear them as I FMQ'd on a special baby blanket. When I finished, it looked so good, it inspired me to try other things! I've only "practiced" on the real things! :-) Scary, but such a feeling of accomplishment when you're done!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 AM

You began the thread writting "I have fallen in love with the top-stitch needles". I am french, and don't understand what it is top-stich needle. Thanks for explanation.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Thanks for all of your encouragement. I also want to do more FMQ. I have done some but I seem to be to hard on myself, especially on fabric that isn't busy print.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ombragrise View Post
You began the thread writting "I have fallen in love with the top-stitch needles". I am french, and don't understand what it is top-stich needle. Thanks for explanation.
TopStitch needles are needles that have a groove in them. When they are threaded the thread lays in the groove therefore keeping it from fraying and breaking as it passes through the fabric so many times. That is the only way i know how to explain it.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:18 PM

I learned to fmq by practicing on potholders and small (18" x 18") quilt squares. Try that.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 PM

that is the way i did it and now i love to FMQ
Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 PM

I agree. At some point the practice really does pay off. I think everyone has that moment where a big light goes off and everything suddenly becomes easier. I truly enjoy the process now and each piece I do gets better and better.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:10 AM

Totally, totally agree. I really struggled when I started to do FMQ, and ended up very discouraged and afraid of it. Then I discovered Leah Day, who is not only an excellent teacher, but also constantly reminds us that this is supposed to be fun and advocates learning and improving by just getting on and DOING it! I know that for some people it's really difficult to abandon the desire for perfection - it tormented me for my first few years of quilting- but somehow I seem to have got beyond it now and most of the time good enough is good enough. That's made the whole process much more enjoyable than it used to be. And because I do much more FMQ, when I do want something to be especially good because it's a gift, I'm more likely to be able to achieve that because I've had lots of practice.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:17 AM

I FMQ my quilts, made/make many mistakes but I keep forging on..