Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm a little sad >

I'm a little sad

I'm a little sad

Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

I have seen a few threads recently that say we are starting to stand up for ourselves in the evaluation of our work. The non-quilters may never understand, but we know what our time and effort is worth.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 AM

All hobbies cost money, whether it's quilting, hunting, camping, or hanging out at the bar! However, with most of these you don't have anything for your money but a happy (?) memory and with quilting you have something you can enjoy for many years. So don't sweat it, just enjoy it! I don't quilt for anyone but myself and my family and for charity. No paid jobs! Learned my lesson about that a long time ago. I enjoy the ability to make my own choices, to be as free as a bird with my designs and to make something beautiful that I can enjoy for a very long time or someone I love can keep warm with it. I also make lots of small items for gifts and for special occasions. So what if others don't appreciate your efforts, you are the artist and it really doesn't matter what others think unless you are planning to give something to them as a gift, then it pays to check into their likes and dislikes.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 AM

Nothing makes me sad about quilting. Frustration and aggravation, yes, but never sad. I only wish I had started it when I was much younger and more able. I struggle along and enjoy every minute of it, that's what it's all about.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 AM

You are correct - those who do not quilt, do not realize the effort that goes into a quilt. We do it because we enjoy it, get pleasure from the results and put our heart and souls into our projects. Don't be sad, be happy you have the skill and desire to make something as beautiful as a quilt and give it to those who appreciate the art.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes we are given a gift we really aren't crazy about. If the gift was given with very good intentions and from the heart and the intended receiver was really considered, then that gift is still to be cherished. I have a friend who has an area in her home for gifts she's not crazy about but she displays them beautifully. She just says she's not crazy about them but they were given with love in mind and she love's them for the thoughtfulness that went into them. Therefore they have a special place and are displayed openly. She realizes the time and effort gone into each gift. That makes them priceless.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 AM

I love the creative process of quilting. A good friend pointed out to me that I am happier when I am working on a quilt, I relized they were right. I do not make quilts to sell or by request. I work on what I want and give them to who I want.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:34 AM

You are right people that don't quilt or sew do not understand the value. I do it because I enjoy it and I give my quilts to family and charity. Makes me feel good.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 AM

I agree whole heartedly. I quilt because it makes me feel good and gift my projects to family and friends who also make me feel good as a person and appreciate my gift(s).
Originally Posted by tezell0801 View Post
I am not going to let something I am so passionate about make me sad. If it comes to that I will know it is time to finda new hobby. I am very new to quilting and do not see myself selling any quilts in the near future. Right now I am sharing with my family and they certainly seem very appreciative of what I am doing. I do it for enjoyment - sure hope I can afford it for a while to come. I am hoping to build a hefty stash before I retire.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM

I started making quilts while I was still working full time it was a relaxing change from my desk job and I found so much good from it I have a large family and everyone loved them and wanted one so had lots of help choosing colors patterns and even the size to fit their needs now some twenty or more years later they all have quilts and I am now doing lap size as everyone needs one of those too. I know I have been so fortunate to have such a loveing family that uses my gifts what hobby could I have chosen that would last a lifetime and have a product that serves so much I love it. Now don't you all think I have been blessed with full measure and pressed down. Thank you for this board and all who share here.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM

I do it because it is my passion , I see nothing else but the love I have for who I making something for.