Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Precuts issues >
  • Precuts issues

• Precuts issues

Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 PM

I have had only one problem and that was with a layer cake that was not 10" square, more like 9.75". I had planned on cutting them into charm squares and that ruined my plan. I was able to go on and make a beautiful quilt using what I had. Good Luck.
    Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM

They are rarely sized correctly, unfortunately.
    Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by tenngal
    They are rarely sized correctly, unfortunately.
    I'm afraid that the words "rarely sized correctly" aren't fair, in my experience at least.

I have only had incorrectly-sized squares with one really cheap knock-off package of 10" squares, and the squares were over-sized in that case. Plus, on the package was a warning that there might be some slight size discrepancies, so I considered that I had been forewarned.

All of the name-brand pre-cuts I have, and I have had quite a few, have been fine, with no size problems whatsoever. If you come across a cutting mistake, contact the manufacturers. I'm sure they'll want to know because their reputations are at stake.
    Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 AM

I can't find it now, but I had read an article about the Hoffman Bali Pops where they addressed the sometimes inaccurate cutting of the strips. From what I remember it said something along the lines that the Bali Pops are cut by hand and that they (Hoffman) were aware of the sometimes not perfect cuts but they were taking pride in the fact that they were giving jobs to individuals in poor countries who other wise wouldn't have one. I think that is a honorable thing to do. Hoffman should be immune from the wrath of people who are unhappy with the accuracy of pre cuts. They know theirs are not perfect and have come forward to say as much. However, the other manufacturers pre cuts should be perfect as they are cut using a machine that is computer driven. It happens though and no amount of quality assurance is going to change it. There is no way that the manufacturer could look at every single layer cake, charm pack or jelly roll strip. The manufacturer is always willing to help if you find that you have unusable pieces. Just send them an email or call them.