Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Geisha Quilt by Request - detailed pics >

Geisha Quilt by Request - detailed pics

Geisha Quilt by Request - detailed pics

Old 07-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for showing us.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:16 AM

Your work is stunning. Do you work mostly with asian/oriental fabrics? I've just recently become interested in oriental design. One of my friends works almost entirely in oriental design and fabric. She adds sashiko to many of her wallhangings.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Banned

no, i do have a ton of asian fabrics because i like them. then when some people saw the asain quilt i got a lot of orders for them.

the asian panels quilts are easy to do and i'm always amazed that people want to buy them.

i would say the majority of my work is contemporary abstract designs and i use ombre fabric or batiks to make them - think the breast cancer quilt and the optical illusion quilt.

then the next most popular designs are the asian quilts

and then i get quite a few orders for my collage work - i take images/photos and alter them in the computer. i send that file out to be printed onto fabric. when the panel comes back (typically about 2.5 feet by 4 feet or so) i paint on it, embellish, etc.

these orders have always been from private business that are looking for an artistic way to provide noise reduction.

they became popular because i can adhere the panels to a frame filled with acoustic foam and the recording studios in NY just latched onto the idea.

i think most people here wouldn't consider this work a quilt.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:49 AM

Do you sandwich and quilt the panels before you adhere them to foam?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Banned

some i do and others i don't.

all my work is by commission only - so its totally based on the client and what they want.

i sit down with them for about 3 meetings.

the first meeting is an overall concept and what type of install we're looking at. this is usually done on location.

the next meeting takes place at my business where we go over the samples i've put together. at this point a firm deal is reach or i stop working on the project. i require 25% deposit at this point.

the last meeting is final approval of the design before i send it off to be printed. at this point i am paid 50% which brings the payment received up to 75% of the final cost of the project.

then i do my final touches to the panel when it arrives and when its done i go and do the install. at this point i am paid the remaining 25% due on the invoice.

the average cost to the client is about $400-$500 a panel and they typically order 3 or 4 panels. i have done just 1 panel in smaller studios.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:34 AM

I love those cranes!! Everything looks great, sounds like lots of embellishing fun.