Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your sewing room always stay cluttered? >

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM

oh the story of my life!!!! We are leaving for vacation and I did my usual clean and get every thing in order..... Sigh its the only time my rooms are tidy.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:58 PM

Mine goes in cycles - I clean up then start on new projects before you know it - it looks like my fabric exploded all over the room. When it gets really bad - I can't work in there until I clean it up - but its my room and my husband doesn't care just like I can't say anything about his shop. I am trying to stop buying so much fabric but its really hard - I have a weakness for Pre-cuts - there are always new pre-cuts coming out and I just have to have a layer cake or a jelly roll or a couple of charm packs - I love my stash but I have a hard time cutting into it. I am really concentrating on cutting into my favorite pre-cuts rather than just admiring them. I am a work in progress just like my projects.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Well, Jeanne, we all seem to be pigs when we are creating; some responders are better at tidying up after a project than others (like me). I also sew all over the house also; can never find the fabric I am looking for; and always "lose" things (like my case of BOM's I put away in March before my knee surgery and preparing for step daughter and her family to come for a visit.) Another reason this board is so great!!

Linda in Missouri
Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 PM

It is so nice that you have a sewing room.. I am in a one bedroom apartment, and work in the living room.. Have clear tupper containers to the ceiling.. I have a 6' desk that I have my laptop on, and made a sewing board to fit the other side.. Under the desk I have containers of scraps, and a dog house.. My chair is on wheels, and can roll form the ironing board to the sewing machine (singer 66 in a cabinet) The other side of the room I have a table with a cutting mat.. It works well, and I try to keep things neat.. Not always easy..
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM

Luckily I just have one closet and a small table with my machine in my bedroom therefore I can't accumulate as much stuff as I want. When I get my own room when I have a house I will be in trouble. same with animals. I only have my one cat, but when I get a house since I work at a shelter I know I will end up with more animals.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

I clean up well between projects.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 PM

it is generally pretty neat. Right now I'm making pencil toppers in the hoop and there is lots of threads and felt to trimmed. My 2 grand daughters were in there making bows so there is stuff out of place. Thursday is my cleaning day for my sewing room.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
My "sewing room" is simply my home! I have refrained from moving into the master bedroom, kitchen, bathrooms. I have to admit the other 3 bedrooms and living area are being overtaken by total chaos! I am afraid that if I organized, I couldn't find anything!! No pics of my messes for sure!
I live on my own and sew in living room and rest is spread around the cottage . Press in kitchen cut in dining room. Change seats and hand sew in living room. Read quilting board living room. Even bedroom has fabric store and none of it is tidy. Oh long area in dining room. I usually have a quilt being done in roughly each area and I love it.

Barri one is the dog in the kennel?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
I clean up well between projects.
Same here, I hate a cluttered, messy work area. My husband makes sure I have plenty of storage. If I need more all I have to do is ask and I have it built.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 AM

I can sure empathize. I'm in a purging mode right now. Have done the rest of the house, and the sewing room is last. I'm looking at EVERYTHING as "If I have to move, do I want to pack it, move it, unpack it, and find a place to store it?" If the answer is no, it's gone. I've got so many quilty notions I've bought and found just don't work for me. Why keep them? After a while, you know what works and what doesn't. Multi-taskers - that's what I like. Quilting is actually one of the most simplistic of crafts - you don't need fancy stuff to do it. Sometimes you just have to stop and think about how important "things" really are. Too much clutter = cluttered life. Fabric? No, I'll keep that, just cut down on what I buy. I've got 8 rubbermaid containers of it, sorted by color, and I won't buy more than what can fit into those 8 containers. Period. Sometimes you just have to police yourself.

That being said, I also clean my room completely between every quilt. As soon as that quilt is finished. Everything gets put away in it's proper place (and yes, it took me years to perfect that habit!), the entire room gets dusted, needle and rotary blades get changed, and bobbins re-wound (I use only two colors to piece - parchment for light fabrics, dark grey for dark fabrics). That way, when I start my next quilt, I'm completely ready!