0% versus skim milk

Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

svensvaflicka1--Yup, the only way to serve milk is coooollllddd! I have dropped a couple of ice cubes in my milk to make is colder, too!

mom-6--nothing like having to "make do" to appreciate the real thing.

On another tangent. I buy whole milk powder and mix it in a 1:1 ratio of milk to flour. This makes a wonderful thickener for soups, stews or gravies. And I can control the amount of salt in those products at the same time. I also dredge meat (chicken, port steak, Swiss steak) with the mixture before I pan fry in a small amount of oil, for a light crust on those meats.

The brand I buy is Nestle's Nido Fortified Whole Milk because it's the only source I have and get it at Walmart as that's where I can find it.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:42 AM

I finally broke down and tried the Lactose free milk, and it is really good. I couldn't tell the difference. I am lactose intolerant and love to have cereal in the morning with milk. Its nice to be able to have those foods again.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1 View Post
my favorite summertime drink since i was a kid has been a glass of skim milk "on the rocks". even just from the fridge, it was always "colder" to my mouth than regular,1%, or 2%. if you want skim with a little more "heft", add a half cup of dry milk to the gallon of skim, and shake it up! it gives it a little more body without adding any fat. and most of the worry about milk and additives in our family hasn't been the antibiotics--it has been concern over hormone administration to increase milk production. we buy hormone free. it's a little more pricey, but worth it.
Hormone free = Rbst free. Cow's milk, like mother's milk, is full of naturally occurring hormones. It is designed (by nature) to be a complete food for baby cows.

Also, if you want to avoid RBST (Artificial hormone) check all the other dairy products you eat. That is where it winds up.

And stay away from fast food burgers! The cows that spend their lives getting weekly hormone shots to increase milk production, wind up as about 50% of the beef in fast food burgers once their productive life is over. Yum.