Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tula Pink's books and quilts - what do you think? Also recommendations >
  • Tula Pink's books and quilts - what do you think? Also recommendations

• Tula Pink's books and quilts - what do you think? Also recommendations

Old 09-22-2013, 04:57 AM

What is pinterest is it a web site where you can look at quilts and if so how do you get to it, I appreciate any information in helping me to look at more quilts for inspiration. TIA
    Old 09-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Any of Eleanor Burns books. Her directions are good - with pictures "how to". She lives in our little town and has sponsored the raffle quilt we make every year for our quilt show.

Julian Quilter
    Old 09-22-2013, 01:54 PM

I think Tula is outstanding within her own style of quilting, just as Weeks Ringel and Bill Kerr are outstanding their milieu. Contemporary quilting is jazzy and fun and interesting. Tula is a star on the scene and her fabrics are gorgeous.
    Old 09-22-2013, 02:02 PM

I've seen the House of Tula Pink book and it does have directions to the patterns in it. I'd like to make the stacked quilt
    Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 PM
    RST

I love Tula pink fabrics-- she's got great color stories, and her designs are adorable and fresh. I also like the modern quilt designs, but I have to say that I don't love her recommended construction techniques. Sure, you can get the quilt made the way her pattern directs, but in my opinion (and yours may vary from mine), technique is not her strong point.

That's where I really like and enjoy learning from someone like Eleanor Burns Fons and Porter, or Nancy Zieman, strong teachers with good form and time saving methods, but maybe not so very fresh or contemporary color use or designs.

There's room for a lot of variety in the world of quilting, and I think Tula is a lot of fun and high energy. I can never resist her fabric lines -- so gorgeous.
    Old 09-23-2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
    I was going to suggest that you go over to Nancy Zieman's website and check out the two-part series she did with Tula Pink. I believe it's free to watch the video. That way, you'd get a good idea of what her designs are like.
    Tried going to sewing w/ nancy site to view episode..all I could find was a snippet from her time on show have to buy DVD to see whole thing. I have heard of her, never saw her work or her. Watching snippet....cute idea for strip piecing...have seen that before.... but watching those tattooed fingers was distracting........the quilt behind them on the wall looked very....."don't know what to do with all of this, so I will put it all together". That having been said I am sure she will become very popular w/ new quilters who want to make a quilt but not "spend" years at it
    , and some of the modern fabrics support that idea........
    Old 07-14-2014, 02:25 PM

I love her fabrics and bold colors. I just ordered the kit to make her Butterfly quilt!! I think it's gorgeous and like nothing else I've ever done.
    Old 07-14-2014, 03:38 PM

I'm making blocks out of "100 Modern Quilt Blocks" and they're fun quick blocks. Technically I could do more advanced things, but I'm enjoying these blocks and using more modern settings to work on FMQ.
    Old 07-14-2014, 05:15 PM

I prefer modern quilt designs but for some reason I am not drawn to her designs.
    Old 07-14-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tribe
    What is pinterest is it a web site where you can look at quilts and if so how do you get to it, I appreciate any information in helping me to look at more quilts for inspiration. TIA
    Pinterest.com is supposed to act like an online cork board. You need to set up an account, and then you can search for things and "pin" them to boards you create. If you like things other people post, you can "follow" them. It's great for house and garden ideas, decorating, crafts, you name it. But consider yourself warned: once you fall down the Pinterest rabbit hole, it's almost impossible to find your way out! It's VERY addictive.