Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you have a go-to pattern for gift? >
  • Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

• Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Old 09-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Any gift will be appreciated. Just this weekend I gave a Christmas quilt as a wedding gift. I don't know the couple very well, but I work with the bride's mother. I can't say that I made the quilt just for the wedding gift though.. it was just being completed and I didn't really have plans for it. the timing was just right. I was told that they loved the quilt, but if they don't that's fine too. I quilt because I enjoy doing it...
    Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM
    Reb

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace
    I'm not thinking about making an actual quilt.....I was thinking more along the lines of placemats, table runner, something like that.....something fairly simple and inexpensive. Just don't want to come across as cheap, but don't really want to give a cash gift either.
    Take a look at their registry, if they have them, to get an idea of their taste. For example if it's crystal, a table runner a little more elegant with maybe nice batiks would work. I'd sign and date the piece so they would remember who gave such a thoughtful gift.
    Old 09-30-2013, 04:50 PM

Mine is Turning 20, usually with batiks from Connecting Threads and I quilt it myself. I've made 5 of them for various friends. I make a personalized label. I also made one from my stash that was a scrappy T20 for my SIL. She loved it!
    Old 09-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stitch124
    Since you're not particularly close, check out their wedding registries. They would appreciate it more.
    I agree with Stitch124. Personally, I always give a check. With today's weddings, many of the couples are paying for them on their own (not the parents of the bride as in years past) and appreciate a cash/check gift more. To me, a check is always a "good fit". JMHO.

Anita
    Old 10-01-2013, 02:46 AM

I would not spend my time, or money, making a wedding gift unless I knew that it would be appreciated, especially for people I am not close to or do not know well. Go to their gift registry or give a gift card.
    Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 AM

That's a tough questions, a lot of young people I know these days seem to be minimalist and aren't sentimental so I'm not sure I would give something home made. It's also hard to guess what colors to use. The only thing I can think of is a table mat and placemats in either a holiday theme or either a neutral palette or black and white. I would definitely include a label on whatever you make so they at least know it was done with love and care.
    Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 AM

Is it possible to ask the couples what they would like? I rarely make for the younger generation and was hurt by my daughter's comment after all the stuff I made for her kitchen tea (she has learnt from her now husband to put a dollar value on gifts) she thought a gift of some plastic ware was more valuable. Needless to say the quilt I was making as a wedding gift wasn't given. Her husband proclaimed to one and all at the wedding rehearsal that couples today want money, grrrr
    Old 10-01-2013, 04:36 AM

If you aren't really close to them - enough that they would know how much of your time and talent went into a handmade gift, I'd give them a gift card, or something from their registry list. That's why those lists are created these days-so kids don't get a dozen cheese trays like we did, even though I'm sure every person who gave it thought they had a great, unique idea.
    Old 10-01-2013, 04:43 AM

If they are family members I usually crochet a name doily for them and they can do the framing to suit their taste. Otherwise if I hardly know them, they will probably get a table runner for the current season. Even the ten minute table runners can be cute if you jazz them up a bit with buttons or yoyos. Whether they appreciate hand made is not important to me. I gave them something I made myself and that's good enough for me. It has to be a child or grandchild to get a quilt!
    Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 AM
    Power Poster

This may sound odd but my usual wedding gift to acquaintances is a very nice sewing kit. Quality large and small scissors, a Superior bobbin saver filled with bobbins of different colors, package of hand sewing sharp needles, safety pins, measuring tape and a seam ripper. I try to find the perfect container so it doesn't look like Grandma's sewing basket. It may not be a wow gift but when needed it is a welcome gift.