Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yeah right! >

Yeah right!

Yeah right!

Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by slicksister View Post
So much negativity. Why all the hate. Why not help instead of doubt? I say good for him!!
<clap><clap><clap>
Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 PM

ditto! give him a quilt book and answer any question he might have, he may be the next really huge name in quilting.

Originally Posted by slicksister View Post
So much negativity. Why all the hate. Why not help instead of doubt? I say good for him!!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM

I generally try to encourage friends and tell them that it isn't hard - just have to sew a straight line. Last thing I want to do is intimidate anyone into thinking they can't do it. If I can do it....they can do it. Just takes practice and perserverance.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 PM

On buying a new machine years ago took my nephews 4 and 10 with me to pick it up. I was given an hours lesson with them watching. They carried the machine for me. When we got to their house I started evening meal they went quiet. On the dining table they had the machine out and looking for fabric. Oh yes they had definately been listening. They did break the needle going over a bump thank goodness. Without my brother's help to remove I would never have managed by myself. They can both sew and use a machine. They have also done quilt in the ditch and at the time due to age were very good at keeping to the speeds I said.
Never say no, when the interest is there they can . We need more males quilting and putting in their ideas.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 AM

Bless his heart! Poor little guy! But, let him try, he'll learn....
Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 AM

Sounds to me like he has a lot of confidence in himself- and that can be a good thing. Kaffe Fassett and Mark Lipinski had to start somewhere, too! Perhaps with proper direction, he could go places - or it could just be a flash in the pan and he'll go on to something else that's "a piece of cake"!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:34 AM

I wish one of my sons had taken a machine and tried to sew a seam! They never did and never will. I offered my DDIL one of my machines when I quit teaching sewing but she refused. Guess who can mend whatever needs mending
So: good for him
Old 10-01-2013, 03:47 AM

Well actually He did a great deal. First I know women who can't thread a sewing machine and would never be able to wind the bobbin. You have to give Him credit, He did what He set out to do, I would congratulate Him and offer Him help if He needed it. After all we all had to learn.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:32 AM

Now don't be too quick to judge! My husband had never sewn more than a straight seam and when I refused to upholster any more old cars, he did one himself and did a remarkable job. He doesn't want to quilt however, and really praises the quilts I make. He had never used an upholstery machine before or used any kind of pattern. He used the old upholstery for pattern where it was available and made his own patterns when it was missing. It was amazing to me. He ran out of the main fabric and bought a coordinating fabric and used it for pockets and trim. He has had lots of people ask who did his upholstery because they liked it so much!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:36 AM

I agree, give him a beginner's book for Christmas/birthday and let him find out exactly what goes into quilting.

Anael-since you offered one of your machines to your son and daughter in law and they refused, guess who WOULD NOT be doing the mending or sewing.