Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilts aren't warm >

My quilts aren't warm

My quilts aren't warm

Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I use one layer of poly batt. it was 0 last night and I slept in a t shirt was was o.k. had the temp in the house at 66.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:59 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I sleep with my wool batted quilt closest to my body (on top of the sheet) and other cotton batted quilts on top of that. It's much warmer this way than under my cotton quilts alone. I also much prefer the drape, the softness of my wool batted quilt. It happens to be hand quilted too, and that may be part of it's lovely drape.

I notice in my winter drafty 200 year old cottage I'm pretty comfortable when I wear a wool sweater rather than a cotton one, no matter how heavy the cotton sweater may be.

Jan in VA
Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM

It doesn't matter how cold it gets -- I usually sleep with just a sheet -- guess I'm a human furnace!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:17 PM

The warmest quilt I have ever had is a flannel rag quilt and I used cheap flannel instead of batting which made a fuller, nicer fringe. It is too warm for me, but I daughter loves it
Old 01-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
It doesn't matter how cold it gets -- I usually sleep with just a sheet -- guess I'm a human furnace!

Me too! I sleep in tee shirt and thin pj cotton pants. Our thermostat is set on 68 degrees in the winter and we are very comfortable in the house wearing a shirt and pair of pants. No sweaters, or undershirts needed. I don't like wearing layers of clothing. Anything over 70 degrees and I get uncomfortable. I turn up the heat if we have visitors. LOL.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:36 PM

For a cuddly warm quilt to wrap up in when you are watching TV or reading, I don't think you can beat flannel or fleece or a combination of both.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:21 PM

OK gals, i have an idea but it may turn off some folks but is just an idea im throwing out there. In speaking with a woman who lives in Canada and gets very cold there, she too is a quilter. To save money she sys she goes to places like good will ,salvation army, and army surplus for the wool blankets. She buys used blankets at good will etc., removes the sashing and sandwiches the old blanket in between her quilt top and bottom. Then she ties it together with yarn which makes the quilt alot warmer. She sd she seldom buys batting unless it is for a gift. for her own family , she uses old blankets and recycles them with a new face lift. With sub-zero temps there, her family is warm with her quilts. Now i have tried this myself in one quilt, and i must admit, it is warmer than just batting. My grandson was given a red cross blanket for helping them in a flood that occurred here few years back. No one wanted to use that blanket as it was itchy. So i made a scrappy quilt and sandwich the red cross blanket in between, then tied it with yarn like in the old fashioned days. I like her idea as it saves on cost of batting, is warmer than batting,and gives new life to an old object once again. Just a suggestion im throwing out there. Stay warm folks in these frigid temps.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 PM

try making double knit quilts! Those things are super warm. They are my favorite of all. Flannel is also warm.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:27 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I only use wool batting because it provides the heat I need. Cotton doesn't cut it. I don't like polyester, personal preference only. All my quilts are wool and anyone that gets one of my quilts always comment on how warm they are. I love wool. It also makes the quilt puffier and I like that.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:34 PM

Question: how do you wash a quilt that has a wool batting? I would think the wool would shrink. Or do you dry clean it?